1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Granddad's Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by stummel bum, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I just found out that both of my grandfathers had been pipe smokers. I didn't think anyone in my family had dabbled in pipery. The cool thing is there is a possibility that I may even be able to track down one of the pipes they smoked.

My mother's mother likes to hang on to old things (nicer than saying pack rat, but I could say that cuz I r one) and I've just written her and asked if she happened to know anything about his pipe or if she could find it.

My grandfather died when I was a teenager and he must have quit smoking way before my time, because I never saw or heard anything about it. I do however, know what it looks like from an old photo that my mom sent me. It was taken when my grandfather was an undergrad at Clemson in the 40's.

[​IMG]

Don't suppose anyone has magical powers and recognizes the type of pipe that is do you? B)

My guess is maybe a Grabow starfire apple.

I just think it's cool to see my grandfather with a pipe in his teeth.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

SB I got the opposite...my grandmother would never let my grandfather be photographed smoking so I ended up with the pipes instead of any pics. Now I have a restored rhodesian/pot kind of thing. Thinking of letting sas try to recreate it.

3. NDLanoue

NDLanoue Member

In my very non-expert opinion, and from this website, I'd have to agree about the pipe type.

Good eye.

4. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

Yup same site I looked at.

5. piper965

piper965 Member

Great pic! Wish I had some from my grandad. My dad actually smoked a pipe, but they were long gone before I came about. I actually got into pipes because of my wifes grandfather. I never met him, but we found 6 of his old pipes in the shed at her parents house. I cleaned them up and then it triggered my PAD.

BTW I agree on the pipe type. At least I think it's some sort of Grabow.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Yes, both my grandads smoked pipes too, but sadly I never got to meet either of them - wish I'd some pix; thanks for sharing. It always amazes me when I see pictures of guys smoking pipes from the 1940s and 1950s how pipes seemed to be longer and thinner than they are now, but I guess it's just a style thing,

Gerry

7. nobler son

nobler son Member

Found out my paternal grandfather smoked a pipe, at least until it started seriously exacerbating his stomach ulcer. Found this out from my father, who discovered I own a pipe (well, several). Thought I'd get some grief over it, but he was actually cool about it. Also learned that he (my dad) smoked a pipe in his younger days. Now I wonder why he decided to stick with cigs.

So. Three generations, at least, of Lemons men have been pipe smokers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.