1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Granddad's Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by stummel bum, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I just found out that both of my grandfathers had been pipe smokers. I didn't think anyone in my family had dabbled in pipery. The cool thing is there is a possibility that I may even be able to track down one of the pipes they smoked.

My mother's mother likes to hang on to old things (nicer than saying pack rat, but I could say that cuz I r one) and I've just written her and asked if she happened to know anything about his pipe or if she could find it.

My grandfather died when I was a teenager and he must have quit smoking way before my time, because I never saw or heard anything about it. I do however, know what it looks like from an old photo that my mom sent me. It was taken when my grandfather was an undergrad at Clemson in the 40's.

[​IMG]

Don't suppose anyone has magical powers and recognizes the type of pipe that is do you? B)

My guess is maybe a Grabow starfire apple.

I just think it's cool to see my grandfather with a pipe in his teeth.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

SB I got the opposite...my grandmother would never let my grandfather be photographed smoking so I ended up with the pipes instead of any pics. Now I have a restored rhodesian/pot kind of thing. Thinking of letting sas try to recreate it.

3. NDLanoue

NDLanoue Member

In my very non-expert opinion, and from this website, I'd have to agree about the pipe type.

Good eye.

4. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

Yup same site I looked at.

5. piper965

piper965 Member

Great pic! Wish I had some from my grandad. My dad actually smoked a pipe, but they were long gone before I came about. I actually got into pipes because of my wifes grandfather. I never met him, but we found 6 of his old pipes in the shed at her parents house. I cleaned them up and then it triggered my PAD.

BTW I agree on the pipe type. At least I think it's some sort of Grabow.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Yes, both my grandads smoked pipes too, but sadly I never got to meet either of them - wish I'd some pix; thanks for sharing. It always amazes me when I see pictures of guys smoking pipes from the 1940s and 1950s how pipes seemed to be longer and thinner than they are now, but I guess it's just a style thing,

Gerry

7. nobler son

nobler son Member

Found out my paternal grandfather smoked a pipe, at least until it started seriously exacerbating his stomach ulcer. Found this out from my father, who discovered I own a pipe (well, several). Thought I'd get some grief over it, but he was actually cool about it. Also learned that he (my dad) smoked a pipe in his younger days. Now I wonder why he decided to stick with cigs.

So. Three generations, at least, of Lemons men have been pipe smokers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.