1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Grandfathers Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Elliot, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliot

Elliot Member

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone here can help me with my troubles.

Since I was little I always had my eye on a set of 4 pipes my grandfather kept in his glass cupboard.
    Sadly, he passed away only a week back, I have now acquired the set of pipes, but with great regret
    I never had the chance to ask him where they came from.

I've searched the Internet for info about these pipes only to find scarce information. I know one is a
    Ben wade made in London (with a 24 marking) and another is a trident (if I'm not mistaken is made by comoys?)

I'm unsure about two pipes tho, they could have possibly been owned by my grandfathers father, hopefully
    someone here can give me any information.

They have OASIS MADE IN ENGLAND marked on the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If the photos aren't the best, I apologise, ill try and take better ones at request.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thank you.

2. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your grandfather. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you a hand on this. I have a couple of my grandfather's pipes and they are very special to me.

3. Elliot

Elliot Member

Thank you. I plan on keeping them as they are, hopefully one day passing them on to my son.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm sorry about your loss also .

I have some of my Uncles pipes and am waiting on a pipe that belonged to my Grandfather , if my Ma can find it [ she better ] .. lol . I'm not familiar with Oasis , though I imagine they are a factory pipe made in one of the factories of the day . The Briar on those pipes looks great ! Theyre broken in for you by your Grandpop ... clean them up and smoke them in his Honor :toast:

5. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

You are blessed. When my grandfather passed, my grandmother threw out all of his pipes before anyone could ask about them. Sorry for your loss.

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

My condolences' first and foremost on the loss of your Grandfather.

I guess where others here invest their time and research in Dunhills and Ferndowns, I am somewhat obsessed with English made seconds and basket pipes.

Mind you, there is no way I can substantiate this with any proof, but they could be seconds from several British pipe manufacturers. Once again, I can't prove it, but that pipe looks very similar to ones I've seen made by GDB, BB&S, and many others for that matter.

Pipedia ad Pipephil often provide some answers for factory seconds or rejects. But sometimes there's no information on these pipes whatsoever. I've come to the conclusion that when I Find these pipes made in England And can find nothing regarding their origin, that they are most likely the aforementioned seconds or rejects from reputable British make makers.

I have in my collection, pipes stamped "Reject London Made" and can only speculate by their appearance or style/shape/finish that they were intended to be Ben Wade's, Charatan, Barlings, Dunhill, etc, etc.

I say given the circumstances, regardless of their pedigree, they are priceless. I envy any and all who inherit pipes from their relatives. That is priceless in my opinion.

So regardless of where thy came or where intended, cherish and enjoy them. I believe it was OldTed who said once, "some people believe if a pipe was made in England its worthy of having" (sorry I am somewhat paraphrasing here).

Well, yes! Yes I do! Lol

jdto likes this.
  7. Elliot

Elliot Member

There could have been a scrap as my brother had his eyes on his other pipes. My first thought was that they're a spin-off from an old factory as there's nothing online about the branding. Unsure at the moment whether to smoke from them, can still smell the old tobacco.

Thank you for the help.

Thank you! I made sure I got my hands on them as I've waited a long time to have them on my mantle. His fathers pipes have vanished which is a great shame.

8. Elliot

Elliot Member

Prior to posting this I had a browse of pipedia and found a few similar, wasn't quite sure if it was a spin-off like I mentioned above, just a generic "mold" / style for the lesser known brands.

Is there any way to tell how old they are?

Thank you for your very informative post, it will help clear my head for some time. I appreciate everyone's thoughtfulness.

Here are the other pipes;

[​IMG]
    Ben Wade
    [​IMG]
    Ben Wade - made in London England. Number 25 to the right

[​IMG]
    Presumably says "Nordic"
    [​IMG]
    "Trident Styled in Italy"
    [​IMG]
    These three are of the trident, which I presume is a second of comoys

9. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather,enjoy and treasure those pipes.

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

going to the top of the page, the Oasis pipe, third photo down. From this angle that looks a bit like a P lip bit. Is it??

11. Elliot

Elliot Member

Thank you. I have them placed in a prime location so every visitor notices them.

Don't know anything about pipes as of yet, had a quick image search and I believe it does have a P-lip.

Here are three images of the pipe in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Not a P-lip. Too bad, that would have made identification much easier. The P lip has the hole on the top of the bit rather than at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.