1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Cobs of Fire

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Albert, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

So on friday afternoon, I was working outside and having a bowl of escudo in my MM Great Dane. It was rather breezy and the wind seemed to be stoking the fire in my bowl as i couldnt get the tobacco to stop burning so hot. All of a sudden i started to smell something burning other than escudo so I tapped out the bowl and sure enough the side of the bowl was smoldering. I let it cool and all seems fine with the pipe, smoked it this morning, but now I will be cautious of what the wind is doing to my bowl. Just a heads up. lesson learned.

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

Yep, something to keep in mind no matter what kind of pipe it is... A pipe is nothing more than a fireplace. Increase the airflow (ex. - a windy day) and the fire will be stoked and burn quicker and hotter.

You may have seen old photos of folks riding in convertibles with a pipe firmly clenched. Any owner of a convertible will tell you that while it looks "romantic," it's actualy more like riding around and sucking on a chimney. Wait to smoke when the top is up... (plus all that wind increases the odds of an amber flying out and burning a hole in your carpet or seat).

3. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

...or your EYE1!!! Ask me how I know. ( 05 Jeep Rubicon driver....I hate tops )

4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I learned a smililar lesson last year at the beach with my Mac cob. I thought if the General did it, there was a reason. Well, the wind was too much.

As for getting it in your eye, a wind cap is a great amber cap too. Not sure how much it actually does for the wind..

5. telltime

telltime Active Member

OUCH!

(and thanks for corecting my spelling of a(ember)!!:thankyou:

6. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

LOL....guess what my ex-wife's name was????

:whistle:

7. telltime

telltime Active Member

Ha! Was she also "hot?":crazysmile:

(I work with an "Amber," but I'm certain she's not your ex...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.