1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Great Cobs of Fire

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Albert, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

So on friday afternoon, I was working outside and having a bowl of escudo in my MM Great Dane. It was rather breezy and the wind seemed to be stoking the fire in my bowl as i couldnt get the tobacco to stop burning so hot. All of a sudden i started to smell something burning other than escudo so I tapped out the bowl and sure enough the side of the bowl was smoldering. I let it cool and all seems fine with the pipe, smoked it this morning, but now I will be cautious of what the wind is doing to my bowl. Just a heads up. lesson learned.

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

Yep, something to keep in mind no matter what kind of pipe it is... A pipe is nothing more than a fireplace. Increase the airflow (ex. - a windy day) and the fire will be stoked and burn quicker and hotter.

You may have seen old photos of folks riding in convertibles with a pipe firmly clenched. Any owner of a convertible will tell you that while it looks "romantic," it's actualy more like riding around and sucking on a chimney. Wait to smoke when the top is up... (plus all that wind increases the odds of an amber flying out and burning a hole in your carpet or seat).

3. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

...or your EYE1!!! Ask me how I know. ( 05 Jeep Rubicon driver....I hate tops )

4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I learned a smililar lesson last year at the beach with my Mac cob. I thought if the General did it, there was a reason. Well, the wind was too much.

As for getting it in your eye, a wind cap is a great amber cap too. Not sure how much it actually does for the wind..

5. telltime

telltime Active Member

OUCH!

(and thanks for corecting my spelling of a(ember)!!:thankyou:

6. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

LOL....guess what my ex-wife's name was????

:whistle:

7. telltime

telltime Active Member

Ha! Was she also "hot?":crazysmile:

(I work with an "Amber," but I'm certain she's not your ex...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.