Great gift idea for the smoker

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by dmkerr, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

...or better yet, for the anti-smoking zealot in your life!

I'm currently reading the book "Smoke Screen: The Truth About Tobacco" by Richard White. It's a real eye-opener that discusses the various testing (and non-testing) that lead up to the anti-smoking hoopla. Lots of interesting tidbits. For example, someone on this forum recently made a post concerning the chemical benzene that is in tobacco. If you find yourself worrying about benzene, smoke all you like - but don't eat strawberries, drink orange juice or fill your car up with gas. Worried about methanol? Smoke freely but skip the Diet Coke. Believe that tobacco consumption causes cancer? Perhaps you can explain why they can't confirm this by exposing lab rats to those noxious fumes.

I'll go ahead and say it... EVERY smoker that has ever been outcast needs to read this book! Every non-smoker who's had their belief system controlled by an agency with a non-smoking agenda needs to read this book. Every anti-smoking zealot who thinks they are on the side of right and correct information needs to read this book. It doesn't prove that smoking is not harmful - that's not the scope of this book. It does call into question many of the so-called facts we have been pummeled with regarding smoking and second-hand smoke.

Buy it... read it... know it... live it.

(no affiliation to author, publisher, blah blah etc and so forth....)

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thanks for the tip! I will add that book to my christmas list.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Thanks for the info, going to the bookstore this afternoon so I will look for a copy. :th1:

4. dmkerr

There is an underlying insidiousness to the whole thing. We all read about government conspiracies and watch tv shows about them. This book really brings that concept home, albeit in less dramatic fashion. Somebody really wants us to believe that smoking is dangerous, and it probably is. But most of the dangers that we've all heard about have not been proven, particularly the one about secondhand smoke.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a political discussion because they usually deteriorate into a huge mess. Suffice it to say that this book will provide you some ammunition to defend your rights as a pipe smoker.

5. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I'm not even going to wait for Christmas! Gonna pick it up today!

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

When someone berates me about second-hand smoking, I ask them what they're doing about second-hand alcohol. While there is not one documented case....world-wide...of second-hand smoke killing ANYONE, we just had three teenagers killed due to second-hand alcohol...killed by a drunk driver. I'm sure you all can show incident after incident of people who have been maimed and killed by alcohol...not just car accidents, but shootings, knifings and brutal beatings...all directly contributed to alcohol consumption.

Not advocating a pogrom against booze...that would make about as much sense as the furor over tobacco. Just sayin'.......

Ozark Nick and dmkerr like this.
  7. woody

woody Admin Admin

8. dmkerr

So true! It's a bit like giving murderers 5 years and jaywalkers a life sentence.

9. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

It doesn't mention the 3rd and 4th hand smoke issues? Must be an older printing.

10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Yeah, the anti's must be happy about that...

11. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

But if 2nd hand smoke isn't real, does that make 3rd hand smoke 2nd hand smoke now? ;)

12. dmkerr

Musn't downplay the very real threat of 7th hand smoke. That's when you have a dream about someone who had once thought about smoking. That can kill you! There are no acceptable levels of such a toxin. :D

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

14. woody

woody Admin Admin

I'm going to get a copy of the kindle version too. It's much cheaper than the paperback, plus no waiting.

15. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Not when you factor in the cost of the Kindle....which I don't have and will probably never afford.
    It's the paper back or nuttin fer me!

16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

ordered my hard copy today! Thanks
    for posting and the links gents!

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

Excellent! Whatever is there to fight the anti-smoking campaign is helpful!!!! I might buy it just because of that!!!!:bing:

18. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Sounds like an interesting read....I'll be picking up a copy, thanks:puffy:

19. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

20. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

You can read Kindle books right on your computer with a free program from Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.