Great night ahead

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BradNTX, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Some of you may have been to a German festival before. This past Friday was the start of Wurstfest in New Braunfels, Texas where I live. Wurstfest is the "ten day salute to sausage", but is much more than that. I went the first time in 1980, so it has been a long tradition for me. The huge variety of German foods, Spaten and Warsteiner beers, the oompah music, yodeling, and good company.

The wife and I decided to kick the kids to the curb (at some friends) and go tonight. It is the 50th anniversary for Wurstfest. I can't wait to order a steaming bowl of sausage gulash from the Edelwiess booth and a Warsteiner Dunkel dark ale. Accompanied by some hard German bread and great music.

I'm also bringing my JanPipe poker with some Texas Ranger to smoke while listening. Yes, a great venue, and smoking allowed as well. I may have to skip out of work a bit early...

Auf Weidersehen
    :bing:

2. pottsy

pottsy Member

Damn, that sounds fun.

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Sounds like a great time, Brad. I haven't had good authentic German food since my last visit to the Rhinelander while visiting Portland, OR years ago.

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Ooooh Yeah! Brats, beer and a bowl! Sounds great!

5. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Yeah have a great time you lucky son of a........
    I went to the Hofbrauhaus in Munchen years ago. Dancing on the tables and all
    Those waitresses could sure carry some big jugs :groucho:

6. BradNTX

We had the best time ever at Wurstfest last night. We arrived at 5PM before the crowds got heavy. I noticed they had a newly built stone & wood beam entry that was neat looking. There is also a new building almost completed, on stilts over the Comal River with a sign that said, "new attractions 2011".

We started with a German style porkchop on a stick and headed for a beer booth to see what they had. My favorite beer is Shiner Black, with Shiner Bock not far behind. (It used to be Watney's Cream Stout-UK, but they got bought out & recipe discontinued) I saw a flavor I'd never had before... Shiner Octoberfest. Duh! Give us two please! The plastic serving cups had a neat new 50th anniversary logo.

Shiner Octoberfest was very malty, smooth and no bitterness at all. We love it. It reminded me a little of a beer I enjoyed when we lived in Memphis called Germantown Alt and was brewed & served at Bosco's in Memphis, TN. I'm definitely picking up some S/O when I have the chance.

We then headed over to the big tent, where a German group was playing some giant Alpine horns and singing. Very nice. Scarfed & chugged and after a half hour of music, we decided to walk around. I have a German wool hat I wear every year with a big turkey feather in it. It is also adorned with a hat pin from every year I've been to Wurstfest. We stopped at my friend's booth and got the "Wurstfest 50th" hat pin. I also saw a neat little beerstein (among hundreds). My wife liked it as well, so we nabbed it.

Next was a bowl of sausage goulash and another S/O, accompanied by a master yodeler. Of course he had the full oompah band with accordian, etc. The temperature was in the 40's, so the food & music made you feel like you were at Octoberfest in Germany.

We picked up a program and read over the different venues. Little tent, huh? I never saw a little tent before, but it said there were more bands playing there. I lit my pipe and we headed over. There was a band playing some very lively German music with a good beat and a large crowd stuffed the tent to capacity. People stood around the openings as well. The band was awesome, with each member able to play several instruments and sing on their own or harmonize.

Two couples sitting near us got up to leave, so we quickly nabbed their spots. It was just in time, too, because the band leader sent the baritone player out into the crowd for forced dancing. He picked mostly from people standing already. They played a lively tune with a hard bass beat, kind of like a polka, and the dancers seemed to enjoy it a lot. It was THEN that I notice the Canadians.

Two younger couples from Canada, had obviously been several nights in a row because the band called them out and said they were from Canada. One guy was wearing leder hosen (leather shorts) with suspenders & no shirt (45* outside). He also had GOLD tights on and no shoes. The blonde girl he was with was wearing a peasant top and a super short ruffly skirt. She had some tight bloomers on and everytime she bounced with a dance step, her skirt flew up. Yes, she was shapely, and had an inch of cheeks hanging out the back. My eyes must have popped, because my wife clamped her hand over my eyes.

After that dance, the band leader called for more volunteers and made the Canadians participate (yes the other Canadian girl was wearing the same outfit, but was brunette). The band leader said they were about to do... THE PANTY DANCE. Yes, that's right. He brought out these huge, colorful pairs of skivvies and passed them to each couple (5 of them). They were going to play a song and when they paused, the partner wearing the giant bloomers had to take them off, pass them to their partner, who had to put them on. The last couple to finish the trade was out.

I was happy to see the Canadian couple w/the blonde girl won. That meant seeing her go for those skivvies, mooning the crowd every time she leaned over. The men in the crowd were very enthused by the dance. After the dance was over we headed back to the food & beer barn. As we stepped out of the tent, my wife gave me a pop on the back of the head. "What was that for?" "YOU KNOW". She was being funny.

The last thing we did was ride the ferris wheel and then we headed out. The food, the beer and the music lived up to expectations, and I'm not sure why, but both of us said it was more fun even than the last few years. We just have to wait 12 months for next year's Wurstfest, and get to anticipate what the new building is for.

Zicke Zacke, Zicke Zacke, Hoi! Hoi! Hoi!
    Ein, zwei, drei, g'suffa!
    Bier Trinken
    Prooooooosit!

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a wonderful time.....

Where are the pics?

You know the rule here..... NP DH :whistle:

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sounds like an excellent time had by all, Brad!
    Did they have any Spaten Optimator? Not a bad
    little dopplebock. Shiner is decent for being
    a domestic. Glad to hear it was enjoyable, and
    had a great visual of the "panty dance" :groucho:

dp

9. BradNTX

We did take a few pics (unfortunately, not of the girls). I'll try to post some later. I also need to take a pic of the canisters I got in for my Middle Earth series toby and post those as promised earlier. We are off to run some errands and I'll work on them when I get back.

DP: They did have several varieties of Spaten, which I like. Warsteiner is a little more to my taste, and they had both the regular and the dunkel (dark) which is my favorite German beer.

10. BradNTX

Well, pictures at night, with a camera on my phone, and after two Shiner Octoberfest... don't make for the most clear pics. But at least offers some proof for the doubting Thomases. :eek:hyeah:

I wanted a pic of the two girls dancing, but there was NO way I would have gotten away with that without getting into some serious trouble. :whistle:

[attachment=1241:Wurst01.jpg]

11. user0003

Whussy... :roflmao:

12. BradNTX

First pic above were the Alpine horns.

This is an oompah band. Last is the wild tent with the girls, but is only a pic of this guy that had a bell on his hat, elbows, hands, knees, feet, behind & played a complex song by shaking them.

[attachment=1242:Wurst02.jpg]

13. BradNTX

After ten years, I still think my wife is hot and I wanted to make sure after the show, that I got a show. :groucho:

14. user0003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.