1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Great pipe day

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by sarge564, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarge564

sarge564 Member

A month or so ago I posted on Facebook a request for anyone's old pipes or pipe smoking paraphernalia. It reminded a few people that they had their grandfather's pipe and one started smoking his. No score for me. However, today I walked into the dry cleaners and the lady gave me a bag that contained 4 pipes and a stand. She said she had seen my post and her husband (no longer smoking) said he wanted to give his to me. 2 Whitehalls (1 looks like new) a Medico and a Yello Bole. Now they're not Petersons or Dunhills but you all can imagine how happy I was. You can see in the photos a couple of them have a lot of cake showing they were well loved.

[​IMG]

I started them on S & A treatments and then the doorbell rings. My goods from randystobaccoshop.com had arrived. 16 1oz sample packs, a basket pipe and misc. stuff including a back issue of pipes magazine. This has been a day in heaven. I remember how Christmas felt as a kid. All this stuff FOR ME!

[​IMG]

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That was very nice of your dry cleaners! Those pipes are great shapes and should clean up nicely. Combine that with your new toby and it looks like you have some very pleasant times ahead. Here's to your new collection- :cheers:

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You score ! Enjoy ..... the pipe on the right looks like it needs a reaming ... or it's gonna explode :) All classic looking pipes ! Nice

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

You're off to a good start!

Enjoy!

Best as ever

Gerry

5. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Wow that is awesome, I mean what a great haul and all in 1 day, yeah i would feel like a kid on christmas as well, the pipes look like they will turn into some very fine smokers for you. And hey, who can complain with free..really lol. I hope all goes well with it all and the pipes bring you many years of enjoyment!!!! :thumbsu:

6. telltime

telltime Active Member

Congrats!

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

What a wonderful gift! While none of those are high-end pipes, I bet they all turn out to be fine smokers! I've got a number of "drugstore" pipes in my collection and none have ever let me down.

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Lucky dog!

9. Legend

Legend Member

Those will be great smokers...I love getting pipes from old codgers! No one back in the day would continue to smoke a bad smoker, because they weren't collectors. So if they're caked like that, they will be great.

10. sarge564

sarge564 Member

update- one of the Whitealls was pretty much new. Maybe smoked once. The other is cleaning up well but the twist on the stem is a little offset from the bowl when tight. The Medico looks like it will be a good smoker, we'll see this weekend. The Yellow Bole is a different story. This is the one I was looking forward to for some reason. Must of been the guys favorite because the stem has been bitten down to the point it is clamped shut. Can't get a cleaner through it. During all this I lost sight of the "gravy" of this little gift, the four pipe stand. Again, not $100 stand but I'm gonna enjoy it. If anyone knows how a can get a stem for the Yellow-Bole standard, let me know.

11. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Nice score! Even though facebook didn't work out, that was a pretty good idea. I might just give it a try (since I don't have a dry cleaner to score from)

12. ECross

ECross Member

Decent.

13. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Sometimes you'll see Yello Bole stems pop up on ebay, often for less than $5. You could also ask Sas to make you a new stem or you can check out Walker Briar Works.

14. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Very nice score. How fortunate for you.

I hope everyone gets the opportunity to "inherit" a collection like this at least once in their smoking career. You don't get to choose what you're getting, so you sort-of get re-educated by someone else's preferences and learn to love what you have in a whole new way.

I bought an old humidor that looked like it had been stomped on. I couldn't talk the guy down below $35 and I only wanted to pay $10. I finally bought it for $35, figuring it only needed to be clamped up square and glued back together. Inside were a half-dozen old pipes and a leather tobacco pouch. All but one of the pipes was salvagable. The rest get love regularly.

15. Gondar

Gondar Member

What a great day. It makes me glad just to read this. Thanks for sharing.:)

16. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Congrats on the pipes,i have been thinking of making a sign and hanging in our little town post office(looking for old pipes,racks tampers ect ect)i might be lucky or very disappointed.

17. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

The only thing I ever got from my cleaners was the wrong vest..."Mine was Armani, this is Alfani".....but that is another story for another time.............

18. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

your story makes me smile--i really love to see those old weed burners continue to live--i dream of something like that happening to me, but so far no luck--oh well, there is always hope for tomorrow--

19. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm envious. Old timers used to tell me they had a collection of Kaywoodie flame grains but they had quit quit smoking and they didn't need them anymore. The frustrating part of it is when I would ask about whatever happened to the pipes, they couldn't remember. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh.

20. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Beauty! Perhaps they have a Dunhill they just forgot to give you? :groucho:

-PipeMeister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.