1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Planet pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dutchking22, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Have you guys seen, heard, or use the pipes made by Green Planet? My smokeshop has a variety of them, and the Churchwardens there caught my eye. They look cheap, and the guy behind the counter looked like he enjoyed another form of tobacco.
    What caught my eye was the price of the CW at $30. But I am unable to commit to them, due to their cheapness in looks and material. The bowl did not feel like briar, so I left. They have a nice collection of other pipes, but all are made by the same company.
    I am leary of buying an "off" brand of pipes. Any help will be great, thanks.

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

They look awful Chinese to me...don't think I'd go for it personally.

3. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I found a website which sells them; I will not be purchasing them, either. My quest for a CW will have to continue elsewhere

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

They produce and sell a wide assortment of drug paraphernalia, some actual drugs, and a number of other seemingly unrelated products. Regardless of what you think about their business, it's probably a safe bet that they don't know their tobacco, and they don't know their pipes. I would not buy one of those expecting to get a quality smoke, but at the price offered on their website you may find it an acceptable amount of money to potentially be throwing away.

Check out Mr Brog pipes on Amazon. They offer a few churchwardens, and while the pipes are made of pear root rather than briar root the reviews I've read there, here, and elsewhere seem to indicate that they are at least relatively frequently fairly good pipes. I wouldn't bet money that pearwood pipes will be as durable as briar, but for the price it may be worth the gamble considering the positive reviews. I've not tried one myself, though.

You could also pick up a churchwarden Forever Stem and convert your favorite MM cob into a churchwarden, for under 30 dollars, or for a little more than that you could get a Savinelli churchwarden. I've been wanting a churchwarden for a while now myself, too!

Darkly likes this.
  5. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I did not know that MM made a cw stem......thank you!

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

They don't. Walker Briarworks makes vulcanite and acrylic stems designed to fit MM cobs. The idea is to pair a more attractive, durable, and comfortable stem with the quality performance of a standard corn cob pipe. The do not accept filters, and they are a little more expensive than I think they should be, but they are nice. I have a vulcanite stem on my Legend, and I like it pretty well. I'm thinking I may get a churchwarden stem also, and that's it - and only because I'd like a churchwarden pipe, not because I think they're especially practical items to buy just for looks.

You can buy them directly from walker briar works or on the Cup o Joes website (which is where I got mine, because if I'm gonna pay that kind of money for shipping I want to get more than just a stem)

7. Alamo

Alamo Member

Don't forget that any MM pipe that has a stem that accepts filters can also use the freehand stem which is vulcanite

I have a FH stem on my WW hardwood and MM Washington
    Much cheaper than the Forever stems if you're on a budget like I am

8. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Thank you. I misread the post earlier

9. John Long

John Long Member

I googled them and they came up as wood pipes made from cherry and maple. I certainly wouldn't want to smoke one. I don't mean to be a pipe snob but...ICK! They're liable to impart nasty if not toxic flavors if not suffer burn out. Pipes and Cigars has an assortment of briar churchwardens in the $35 range. I would bet on one of those if that's what you're looking to spend.

10. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Actually.... I've smoked from Maple, Black Walnut, Cherry and Rosewood.. once caked (like a briar) they taste just the same. In fact the Maple actually lends a very slight sweetness to a smoke initially.. and NONE of them are toxic.. do they last as long as a briar? Well no, of course not.. They aren't briar.. Are they ICK???
    Try one and then be the judge. Happy smoking!

P.s... I've had my eye on a couple of Mr. Brogs, Pear root wood pipes.. for the price, seems a pretty good smoke, considering the reviews!

11. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Thank you.

12. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

With a name like "Green Planet", they must be made from recycled products.
    There's a lot of good wood in them there old outhouses.:haha:

Dutchking22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.