Grey Havens

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jussto, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

So I picked up a tin of this recently because of the Va/Per/Bur ingredient list on the label, and didn't really notice the "fragrance" bit in the description. I don't have anything against aro's, and if I'm going for one I like one with some nic and solid tobacco flavor to back it up. I think Grey Havens hits this on the head. A cool smooth smoke with a great room note, this blend fills a niche that I'm always looking to find new tobaccos for, real flavor and nic for me, with a pleasant room note for others. Until now MacB vanilla flake has been my go to in this area, but I think Grey Havens has just passed it in my book. I am a perique freak, and not a huge burley guy, but the burley just works in this blend with the perique there for a little backbone.

I have noticed something a little odd about this blend though; when smoked in a smaller briar, the aromatic component is almost imperceptible, however in a meer it's like plums and dark grapes almost take the forefront. This is my first experience with a huge change in flavor profile over different pipes, and is quite nice!

Overall this is a great blend that I think anyone should try, aro folks looking to stray a little, or non-aro folks wanting to stick a toe in the water. It smokes cool and burns perfectly at tin moisture, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a newer smoker either!:thu2:

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have a tin I opened about a year ago and smoked a bowl or 2 and really didn't grasp it. I just may have to try it again tomorrow!

David Emond likes this.
  3. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I got a tin of this about a month ago, along with a tin of Deep Hollow. I've had a few bowls of the 'Havens and I agree, it is a well balanced quality smoke.:puffy:

David Emond likes this.
  4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

This is one I wanted to like but just couldn't. Just one of those weird body chemistry things I guess as it was quite bitey for me. I much prefer McC 2000 Fragrant matured cake for my room pleasing but tasty duties.

David Emond likes this.
  5. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Hawkwood, How did you like "Deep Hollow"?

David Emond likes this.
  6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

This is on my next buy list along with some deep hollow and Virginia woods.

Jussto likes this.
  7. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Havn't cracked it yet......

David Emond likes this.
  8. David Emond

just ordered some deep hollow and grey havens. been wanting to try these for a long time.

9. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm a big fan of McC, quality leaf, great blend selection and domestic to boot. I'll be opening the DH soon.

cobbsmoker and David Emond like this.
  10. David Emond

Does this tobacco need lots of air time before lighting up?

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Some, I'd say. McClelland are a little wet in the tin.

I like Grey Havens and I like Virginia Woods. Figured Deep Hollow would be like my Holy Grail..... can't stand the stuff. What the hell is the flavoring, grape soda? Blarg, it's weird. I was sad.

David Emond likes this.
  12. David Emond

Ishhhh if its grape soda then im not looking forward to trying it out lol.

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's just not what I was expecting. I really enjoyed the two closest tobaccos in that "series" and that one just strikes me funny. You'll be fine, probably. If you love it, I'll send you a nicely aged tin.

David Emond likes this.
  14. Capt

Capt Active Member

I personally do not think it does. It smokes well right out of the can.

Jussto and cobbsmoker like this.
  15. David Emond

Thanks ill trade ya vs some squadron leader :)

16. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Grey Havens sits just on the right side of the line of "Is that some kind of funky flavoring, or do I love it?" for me. Silem's Black just crosses over that line into "Definitely some funky flavoring here, probably not going to be a regular" and Peterson's holiday aro last year is the definitive definition of "Ok, time to burn the pipe instead of the tobacco." These three do seem to share a grape soda note in varying degrees.

Good job Grey Havens:th1:

David Emond likes this.
  17. David Emond

Man these blends are all over the place in the reviews on pipe tobacco review. some say its mollases, some others say its brown sugar and maple and here its grape soda hehe.

18. David Emond

Hi guys,

I just had my 1st bowl of grey havens. I dont know what to say yet so ill hold back. I packed my corn cob but this time i didnt use a filter so i was smoking for the 1st time my cob without a filter. I think i didnt enjoy this as much as i could of since i was more concentrated on the no filter in the cob and trying to adjust my puffing. Right now im smelling the tin and the tobacco and i dont know what im smelling but its something sweet.

Ill be trying this out with my meer for sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

[​IMG]

David Emond likes this.
  20. David Emond

I understand people that say that because in my frog tins I did get that smell but this one is weird. I brought my jar to work and my boss said cranberry, coworker said cherrys. I dont smell any ketchup or bbq in this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.