1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Grey Havens

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sasquatch, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Having enjoyed (rather rapidly :dunno: ) some Kingfisher, and having found it both subtle and different than almost everything I've ever smoked, I have begun a sort of double-edged journey. The first is to find a replacement for Kingfisher, the second to push my nose just a little further into the Burley realm, where hitherto I have not ventured much.

I've been enjoying McClelland blends a lot recently, revisiting some old faves and trying things in a few directions. Had been meaning especially to try some Deep Hollow, which sounds right up my alley - sweet, lightly aromatic, wimpy strength, Va based stuff. Therefore I added Grey Havens to my cart on a last-minute "oooh this is a Va/Per/Bur" sort of whim. Oops!

I like.

There are quite a few "hot air" 1 star ratings on tobaccoreviews, and I can kind of understand this. There's a woody sort of flatness about the burley, and surely if you suck on this blend too eagerly the reward is no flavor and a burnt tongue. But with a little patience and careful technique (or even better, basically ignoring the pipe and doing something else in the meantime) the stuff comes through. A very subtle topping, similar to the not-quite-vanilla taste in Virginia Woods, but a beefier smoke due to both the perique punch and the burley carrier.

It's not Kingfisher, it's like if Kingfisher were made in Denmark. I wouldn't call it a contemplative smoke, especially, I don't find it changes much through the bowl, but it's a solid undemanding companion as long as you don't beat on it.

Interestingly, the reviews of Kingfisher are very similar - some guys love it and others can only find hot wet air.

So, if you aren't a big nic hound, and you want a great big bowl of something pleasant, Grey Havens might just be worth a look.

2. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Sas,

Good review! I have been meaning to try Virginia Woods, Deep Hollow and Grey Havens. I may place these blends on my "secret Santa" list.

Phil.

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Grey Havens is a great blend! You can see my review of it on tobaccoreviews.com under strongirish. Very few burley/perique blends work well but this one is the exception!

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I'm going to have to try that one. Like Sas I tried some Kingfisher, was really taken with it and now I am looking for others that are in that same vein. I wish we could still get Kingfisher.

5. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

I've always enjoyed Grey Havens and Deep Hollow. Ive yet to nab a tin Virginia Woods, but if it's a branch off the same plant, I'll likely find a place for it in the cellar.

:cheers:
    -- Carl

6. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Reviving this one--

I just acquired a tin of Deep Hollow myself, and am enjoying it. I haven't come across the Grey Havens yet, but am on the lookout. I was very surprised I couldn't find any review for Deep Hollow on TR.com.

7. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

They do have reviews for it listed under McClelland - Craftsbury Series: Deep Hollow. I agree with you, I find Deep Hollow to be a fine smoke. Haven't tried Grey Havens yet but I mean to add it to my next order.

8. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Well i'll be -- I had no idea it was a craftbury series toby, so missed it completely! I thought it was strange, now I know I am strange!!

9. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

So i realize this post is about a year old, but I'm trying Grey Havens right now and my oh my is it good. I am honest sold on this, I was sold from the first match! It had a really sweet taste right off the bat and now I can taste the burlys... and Perique! This blend is a winner! And it's also named from the Lord of the Rings! :D

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've got an open and mostly empty tin of Kingfisher. Good thing I've got another full, sealed tin of it! Picked it up at a pipe show, and the packaging is a touch different than more recent batches of the blend. Some writing on the bottom (in permanent marker) would suggest it's at least from 2001. Can't wait until I can open it up :)

For folks looking for a good Virginia-Burley-Perique blend, I might suggest Exhausted Rooster. Medium bodied, so if you're all about very mild blends it may be a touch stronger than you prefer, but I tend to prefer stronger blends so I find it just right for an "all day" smoke when I don't want my head spinning. The burley is not at the forefront, and the Perique is definitely present but to my taste added with a relatively light hand. Definitely more VA than burley up front, but the three tobaccos mix quite harmoniously. Not a replacement for Kingfisher, but it's a great blend in it's own right. For what it's worth, it's a C&D flake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.