1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Grim Diagnosis: TAD

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've been stricken by TAD. I've got a two and a half cans of PA (one can in the cellar, one on deck, and half a can in the jar. I've got four ounces of PS Natural in a jar, four ounces of McClelland Columbian Mocha in a jar, and four ounces of C&D Epiphany in a jar.

Last week a new B&M opened a few doors down from my favorite Chinese buffet joint, so I had to buy a pouch of H&H, SWR, and some generic brand called Natural Cavendish.

Today I was in Grand Prairie, Texas, for my 6th grade kid's try-out for Texas Express(an advanced youth basketball league). (He made the cut - hoo yah!). I found a really nice B&M. Of course I just had to go in, and I just had to buy some toby - a Balkan blend in a tin, and another in a pouch. The pouch was a glorified OTC called Fox and Hound (by Altadis), which is a Turkish, Red Virginia, Burly, Latakia, and Perique blend. Ran me $6.50 for 1.5 ounces, which is in the OTC price range, and it reminded me very much of an old OTC blend called Walnut - in fact, I'm not even sure I can even tell the difference between these two blends. All-in-all, a very enjoyable smoke in the tradition of PA or CH - not too deep or complex, but very enjoyable. (Not surprisingly, PA, CH, Walnut, and Fox and Hound are all Burly blends, and all put out by Altadis - and they're all simply great daily smokes). I'm not an industry insider, but I'd be willing to bet that since Altadis bought out Middleton, they took the excellent Middleton Walnut blend and relabeled it as Fox and Hound in-order-to market it in more upscale smoke shops.

The other blend was Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend 957. A deeper blend than the Fox and Hound, comprised of Orientals, Perique, Latakia, and Black Cavendish. It ran about $12 for 1.5 ounces, but can be found on line for much less. It was fantastic. I like English blends, but after the Sutliff's (and even Fox and Hound) I think I like Balkan blends even more. Then, again, with pipe toby being an adventure around every corner, who knows what English or Balkan blends I might find next.

Still, Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend 957 in my Peterson briar... hot damn, I've become Balkanized!

2. RTOdhner

And I forgot to mention the Dunhill 965 and the Mac Baren's Plumcake.

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

How are you enjoying that Epiphany? One of my favorites too! :bing:

4. RTOdhner

For me, English and Balkan blends need to be sipped. At first Epiphany didn't do much for me, but I was smoking it too fast and I was smoking it in the wrong pipes. I put it in a MM bent General corncob and it was great. I began to sip it slowly from a Wiley freehand briar and found it's damn near sublime. :thumb:

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Middletons is owned by Altria . Almost spelled the same . They own stuff like Phillip Morris , US Smokeless Tobacco Co , JohnMiddleton , St. Michelle Winery [ Good stuff ] , Miller Brewing , Kraft food and some othr stuff . Altadis is now owned by Imperial Tobacco out of the UK . It was up untill a few years ago the combination of France and Spains state monopoly tobacco companys .I'm thinkin I may want to try Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend . Does it come in those round containers w/ plastic lid or in bulk ?

6. RTOdhner

Comes in a can with a plastic lid. I'd prefer a real tin, but it works. I smoked the famous Balkan Sobranie back in the mid-80's, but I'm afraid it was a case of casting pearls before swine because I really didn't know how to gauge how good it really was (or wasn't) I know I liked it, but for all intents and purposes the Balkan Luxury Blend and Fox and Hound are the only two Balkan blends I'm familiar with. I like them better than regular English blends, and I like the Luxury Blend much more than the Fox and Hound because the flavor is more complex and it doesn't smack of poly glycol.

7. r0n54

r0n54 Member

You may want to also try Dan Tobaccos Bill Baileys Balkan Blend....good stuff!

8. RTOdhner

It's on my list! I read a review on it over on Tobacco Review, and one individual likened it to a maduro cigar. As a huge fan of maduro cigars and English/Balkan blends, this really appeals to me. However, if the reports of 40% Latakia content are accurate, then this is going to be an outside smoke because the wife will never let this in the house.

Unfortunately it will have to wait, because I just ordered two Peterson blends - Sherlock Holmes and Irish Oak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.