Guidance for next purchase

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Rich666, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich666

Rich666 Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome to the forum, now for the first question.

I thought if I let you what I like and dislike perhaps you knowledgeable folk could help me make a more informed decision on the next tobacco purchase...time's being hard an all - I'd like to get one that's close to what I already like rather than one for the storeroom - anyway that's the theory..

At the moment I smoke Sunset breeze, MB 7 seas gold and ST Bruno r/r (all of which I really like) , with the odd bowlful of Bullseye, University flake, MB original and even condor r/r as an occasional change.

I have tried plumcake, FVF, best brown, a balkan mix (loose), MB scottish mix - all which I find less favourable.

There we have it..any suggestions on what to try would be gratefully received although bear in mind I am in the UK so I can't get all brands,

thanks in advance,

Rich

2. primitiveman

primitiveman Member

Something from Robert McConnell perhaps? Scottish Cake is good, as is Maduro.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Getting the caveat out of the way that recommending tobaccos is like recommending tv shows, women, or food... you might try some of the Gawith & Hoggarth Lakeland blends such as Kendal Flake, Glengarry Flake or the various scented flakes such as Brown Flake. Also, don't throw away the FVF. Give it some aging time in an airtight environment and try again. It ages quite nicely.

St Bruno is an excellent tobacco.

Another suggestion is Orlik's Golden Sliced, which is a sweet lemon virginia with a nice citrusy flavor. It's a bit more natural tasting to me than a lot of the Mac Baren's offerings, but still in a similar style.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

What about some Peterson DeLuxe, or Gold Blend?

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I was not as diverse in my experience with tobaccos until I started reading all the suggestion here on this forum. Tried some, liked some, didnt like some, loved some. Tried suggested Englishs, aromatics, non aromatics and then experimented with some I never heard of. The process has broadened my toby horizons.
    My suggestion? Try as many different tobys as possible and find your passion!

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Pete Sherlock Holmes & Connoisseur's Choice

Tinderbox 1928

C&D #414

MacBaren Navy Flake & Dark Twist Roll Cake

G&H Scottish Flake & Broken Scottish Cake

Enjoy!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Rich666

Rich666 Member

What was I thinking,

asking a forum full of Pipe smokers for tobacco recommendations in an attempt to save money - blame it on naivety lol.

Thanks for the response - I think ill make a list of the recommendations and work through them, first of Robert McConnell, some Orlik golden sliced, then some Petersons Deluxe and Connoisseur's Choice.

Then some Navy flake, dark twist .... ahh now I see Mak dragon is right try as many as possible - at least I got a good starting point, thanks again

I think I'm gonna like this place although I think my bank account may take a battering, ah well at least i'll enjoy the ride,

Rich

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Remember, if you don't like it, you can always trade it! Right here!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

P.S. I'll back up any of my above rec's. If you don't like any of 'em, I'll trade ya for 'em.

9. Burner

Burner Member

May I suggest an appointment with the Squadron Leader?

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 for Navy flake ... be it MB or PS . I think everyone likes those two blends ... they're killer . If ya want to try a Burley then no doubt MB GE

11. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

There is no point in my trying to give advice. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I visit a baccy shop. Still, if you like English blends I can recommend Presbyterian. Not everyone loves it but I know of very few smokers who dislike it. I you like aromatics I would suggest Peterson's Deluxe. It is cased very delicately such that the walnut & vanilla flavors compliment the tobacco.

12. Rich666

Rich666 Member

Hi all,
    I visited the bear shop today in Cardiff - they had MB navy and Peterson deluxe - bought a tin of each - -tried the MB tonight after a bbq and a few ales - what a delightful smoke. Thanks for the recommendations - deluxe next then onto the internet to order some of the other recommendations.

This pipe hobby just gets better and better, only thing is as I buy more tobaccos I see more pipes I like,

cheers,

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.