1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Gurgling. Pipe, Toby, or Me?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by ArtisanArcher, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I've seen this question come up several times on the forum and read several answers trying help identify the culprit for various situations.

After two years of smoking, something I've never really gotten in the habit of is drying my toby. I've also noticed that I have rather frequent problems with gurgling. But my Meerschaum is even gurgling (I thought they were supposed to be immune to that). Of course, a pipe cleaner can take care of this.

What are the odds that drying will help me?

Happy Smoking
    Thanks
    Arty

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'd say pretty good, if you aren't smoking too fast with a lousy pipe(or smoking a good pipe too frequently).

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Nyuh uh - not hardly. Those small little rascals with restricted airways, especially, are boogers for gurgling. So too are new, uncaked pipes.

What's your "too dry, too wet or just right" test for tobacco? And are you mostly a ribbon/shag or flake smoker?

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I have found that whenever that has happened to me I had packed my pipe too tight and or was smoking too fast. Either of those two things will cause your pipe to gurgle. Of course some pipes gurgle no matter what you put in them.

JMHO,
    Paul

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Good question, Moo. I suppose, Arty, other small factors could be in place...packing style, ambient humidity, and draught hole placement may present you with this issue, too.

6. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I don't think I'm smoking too fast, but it is possible I suppose. But my pipes last usually an hour with a normal bowl or 45 minutes with smaller ones. And I typically can smoke a pipe top to bottom without a relight (sometimes it takes one or two, but not often).

Okay, well that's good to know.

And basically I just smoke it out of the tin. Some I can tell are a little on the wet side as I pack them. I mostly smoke ribbons/shag. As long as it's not so wet that it stays clumped together if I pinch it, I smoke it.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The wetter the tobacco, the more you're prone to gurgling.

With a meer, I just blow the moisture back into the bowl by a heavy breath through the bit. Works everytime. And the icing on the cake is that the gurgle then not only isn't a problem, it becomes part of the oil that causes the pipe to color. Consequently, gurgles are no longer an issue for me. Not sure if that works on briar or not.

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I'm going to phrase this in the form of a question so that I don't get busted for posting in the "old fart thread". Do other people think the stem is the biggest issue? I've noticed with my meerschaums, and as other have observed in this thread, meerschaums with restricted stems-to-shank joints are very prone to gurgling. Meerschaum is also significantly more absorbent than briar, so if the added absorptive power of the meerschaum cannot prevent a gurgle, there seems little hope that the absorptive capacity of briar will be able to prevent it. Even with my bad smoking techniques, I have been able to stop some of my briars from gurgling by opening the airway in the vulcanite. Does my experience mesh with other people observations?

:popc: I'm starting the clock to see how long it takes for Moo to bust me.

zirrow and ArtisanArcher like this.
  9. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Cool! And that's the way I typically deal with it in any given pipe, until it frustrates to the point of getting a pipe cleaner. Not all of my pipes gurgle, but the bent ones are more prone to it. I will try drying my bowl for tonight. :)

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Lets see... lets see... I'll have "Pipesmokers & Insolent Behavior in Forums" for eight hundred, Alex.

zirrow and dwaugh like this.
  11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Hey, took him 4 min's David. :)

zirrow and dwaugh like this.
  12. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

David, I think you nailed it. Restricted airways (small diameter) in the stem "plug" more quickly with condensation. A larger bore has a larger surface area and moisture that condenses may not gather and drop down to block the passageway and cause gurgling.

My only gurgle problems occurred in the stem. The heel may be wet which would lead one to believe that's where the gurgle is taking place and possibly it is. I tested for this (sorry, no graphs) by marking pipe cleaners to the length of the gurgling stems. If the gurgle ceased when the cleaner was put in to the end of the tenon, I increased the diameter of the bore. This happened on one meer and two cobs. The Forever nose warmer stem in any cob and the Freehand stem both collected enough moisture to cause gurgle but this ceased with increasing the hole diameter.

I think another factor that helps precipitate the problem (clever, huh?) is the large mass of the vulcanite which stays cooler. If the mass is reduced by drilling out material, I think it warms up more quickly and helps reduce the moisture problem.

WyoBob

ArtisanArcher, Kiowapipe and dwaugh like this.
  13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Try setting out a bowl's worth of tobacco to dry for ten minutes before you load it. With your meer, I'll buy you two cokes if drilling out the tenon doesn't help. With your briars, you may be smoking too fast. If you never need to relight, you might be smoking too fast :) Also, are you a clencher? If you clench a lot, you're going to get more moisture in your pipe.

14. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Sometimes your gurgle may be caused by a wee little chunk of tobacco partially getting sucked into the airway. Of course if that happens, you will notice a more restricted draft. Just blow into the stem or poke it with a pipe cleaner.

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Smoke blends that are ready to go .. lol . Man , I cant stand drying out tobacco . Why not have it at a ready point for when the tin is popped ... good for the smoker you'd think . To me , it's the extra step in customer service :) . MB products are ready to go , as an example

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  16. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

First I'll try drying. Then I'll try drilling. Not too much clenching goes on.

17. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Here's a thread on opening up the tenon: http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/hot-roddin-the-white-godess.14004/
    Gotta be careful, obviously, but it's not too tough. Just go up in increments of 1/64" and resist the urge to use your DeWalt :)
    It made a huge difference for me. Note- this mostly applies to the little teflon two-piecers. If you've got a Baki-style delrin tenon then drilling may not be as great an idea.

18. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I disagree with wide open draws packed loose, they burn hot and fast and fill your bowl with moisture if you’re a puffer, smaller diameter draught, packed to the firm side gives me a slower, cooler burn with no moisture in the bowl, shank or stem while clenching my pipe, smoking using the normal rhythm of my breathing as I smoke. The old school way of clenching a pipe when you smoke works the best for me. :)

dgerwin11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.