1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Gutted! Broke my only decent pipe...!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jimmyblues, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmyblues

jimmyblues Member

Hi all!

I'm upset. I dont have much cash at the moment, and have only just got into pipe smoking, but have persevered and been really enjoying it. I bought a fairly cheap basket pipe from a local tobacconists, and it turned out to be a bit of a stunner. I'd broken it in, had built up a fairly decent cake, and was really starting to get into blends and develop my packing, lighting and smoking technique.

And last night I broke it. :yikes:

I was on my way from the tube station to home and slipped on ice and it fell out of my chops and the stem shattered in the bowl. I was gutted. I threw it away and stormed off. I have a secondary smoker, but its small and rubbish. I was really forming a relationship with that beast, and now its gone. I'll save up and buy another one, maybe a name pipe. But i still feel the loss. It's quite odd. It was like a project, an investment, a companion. Now it's no more.

Damn.

Keep smoking, chaps and chappettes!

jdc

2. pottsy

pottsy Member

Damn that's a bummer. Pick up a couple of cheap cobs to hold you over.

3. Stoked

Stoked Member

That sucks. I know how you feel about putting all that time into breaking in a pipe. Yeah, it's like investing in a relationship, only the pipe never lets you down. Ever.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

That sucks . I've got a box full of broken pipes . If yer in the UK maybe you could find a used DR.Plumb . when I was over there , I found them about while at the antique fairs and the like . Dr. plumbs are pretty good . I had gotten two that looked kinda like a peterson and they smoked fantastic . I lost one of them hunting and I gave one to a buddy and he's since lost it as well . Good pipes though they were older

5. Gondar

Gondar Member

Yeeo! That is too bad. :thumbsd:
    Could you not have had a new stem fitted?

6. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

That is a shame i am sorry to hear that, but there is a good way to get a pipe with little to no money a MM corn cob pipe, they may be cheap and made out of a corn cob but i have 5 of these pipes and smoke them daily and love every moment with them. They are outstanding pipes and for the price of them you cant go wrong.

7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

It's tough, bitter luck to drop a pipe and have go gone. Luckily, I'm not suffering any bowl-shattering temperatures, let alone black ice in New Orleans. If I were still in Boston that would be another matter.

Drop a cob and it will get a character scar. No harm done but a tale to tell when you pull it out of your pocket. I've gouged my cobs till they look like they've been through war and back. They smoke the same. Paired with an indestuctible Forever Stem, you wold have been walking down Easy Street even if it was an icy street.

Sorry to hear about your loss. At least you've got a backup bowl to take up the slack.

Watch your step. I slipped my motorcycle on an oil slick yesterday. Didn't break a pipe but I feel your pain.
    Best,
    WK

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sorry to hear, JB. Maybe you can find
    a an inexpensive Falcon which would
    fair better than a lot of pipes when
    dropped.

dp

9. jimmyblues

jimmyblues Member

Thanks for all your comments chaps! much appreciated! and good suggestions too. I have got a little pipe to take up the slack, but it aint a happy smoke. Am thinking bout a corncob, but i dunno they just seem a bit...incongruous here in wintry UK. But its the quality of the smoke that matter, and short term it may just be the best solution.

Cant wait til i afford a decent named briar... ah something to work towards!

10. jimmyblues

jimmyblues Member

Yes that occurred to me later, after I'd thrown away the remains in a fit of being seriously peed off at myself.... the shank was cracked inside the bowl. it looked ugly, but i regret not being clearheaded and taking it home to examine it in detail. grrr. :turned:

11. Gondar

Gondar Member

As they say - hindsight is always 2.0 :)

12. freestoke

freestoke Member

Bummer! Get that corncob stokin'! Won't be long before you'll be needing a decent smoker!

13. Edlj

Edlj Member

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you should have saved the pieces. They can sometimes be repaired quite easily with a little Super Glue or JB Weld. I recently reattached a broken shank on a Grabow Omega with JB Weld. Smokes like a champ!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.