1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Guys I need your advice--PLEASE--PLEASE

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Recently I had my ey on another Upshall. It was an estate that I could only look at in pictures. It was a "G", and nice--awsome grain. I took the bait, and it arrived today. I unboxed it, and WOW---gorgious tight grain. Also looking down into the bowl--hole is centered---BUT----when I attempted to pass a pipe cleaner no matter what I did---no go. When I removed the stem----WOW---where the smoke hole from the bowl meets the mortise it has been drilled WAY high, and to the right. I was astonished that a pipe like this would be like this. Graned the hole is PERFECT at the bottom of the bowl, but from stem through mortise---way off. I love the looks of this pipe, but the drilling has ne literally beside myself. I paid quite alot to aquire this pipe, and wonder----should I send it back????? SASQUATCH maybe as a pipe maker you can offer me some advice also-----PLEASE. Should I attempt to fix it, or send it back????????? I usually like to handle pipes prior to purchase---I took a chance, and am kinda on the fence.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

If you are not satisfied, call the place you bought it from. If you want to keep it, have it fixed, but do not try it yourself. Leave it to a pro.

3. Russell Hartman

I love the appearance, and as I said looking into the bowl--the hole hits the bottom center perfect. When I took the stem out, and looked down into the mortise the hole is high, and to the right---WAY HIGH. This causes the alignment of the tenon to NOT align with the hole in the mortise. Granted the tenon doesn't go down into the mortise that close, but I really expected more from a pipe like this. I am VERY disappointed, and do posses the tools, and skill to fix it, but MAN---live, and learn I guess. I still am undecided as to whether I will return it. I absolutely love the pipes grain--VERY straight, tight, and eye catching, I will not smoke it so if I decide to send it back I can:(

4. Russell Hartman

OK--I again took the stem apart. Did some measuring. The mortise is about .25 iches deeper than the tenon length---a .25 inch gap between the end of the stem tenon, and where the mortise hole stops--kind of a little chamber there. I am sure it would smoke good, but I guess I am either too anal about pipe cleaners passing straight through with no effort, or perhaps being too picky about things like this. With my description of this---what do you folks think? I am having a hard time with this mentally as the hole in the mortise leaves to go out to meet up with the bowl is just way high, and right. Perhaps they had to do that to get the hole to hit dead center bottom like it does????????????

5. Russell Hartman

Well guys I have staired at this pipe long enough--took very detailed digital photos, and have contacted the seller. They have agreed to refund my purchase. Its a shame. The pipes exterior grain is phenominal to say the least--straight, tight grain that is beautiful to say the least---it makes me almost throw up to think that as drop dead gorgious as the pipe is on the outside---that the engineering on the inside is beyond horrible. The drilling in the mortise is so high that it actually starts before the end of the mortise drilling, and I am afraid that ANY attempt to fix it will make the briar stem behind the bowl too thin--it already is due to the original drilling-----THIS MAKES ME SICK------the part that makes me sick is that a piece of briar that exhibits the tall tight straight grain that it does is, or in my humble opinion has been ruined. Even if it were to be repaired in some way when I put to my hand to it--it would be the first thing I thought of. I just can't get over the fact that a "supposed" higher end pipe was let go this way originally--------ok I am done my rant, and crying.
    I did A HUGE amount of internet searching, and have found others who have commented on the over all quality of Upshalls since 1996. I don't want to be rude, mean, or a pipe snob, but I now have first hand experience, and hope that this is not common. I have an older Tilshed that smokes off of the map, and cannot understand how it didn't make the grade. The drilling, and attention to detail in this older pipe is second to none.:puffy:

6. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Can you post a picture of it? Maybe someone who feels like they could pull it off could try making something similar.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Perfection is often sought, but seldom achieved.

If it bugs you, then sending it back is the right answer. Personally, the pipe cleaner test means little(to me), but it's your $$$ and satisfaction here.

8. Russell Hartman

yinyang:
    I don't want to seem picky, and also understand that the pipe cleaner test to many means very little. Its just that on this particular pipe the alignment between the mortise hole that leads to the bowl verses the tenon on the stem are not even remotely close. This for me--just me, and perhaps only me is a deal breaker. I have some basket pipes I use for work that I love---cheap--great smokers--these cost me probably 20 bucks, and have better engineering than the pipe I have in question.

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Send it back. Get tracking, confirmation, insurance as well. It's yo-munnie!

Be happy!

Ed
    Puff :)

10. Russell Hartman

Guys thanks for allowing me to bend your ear. I don't want anyone to think I am some kind of pipe snob, or anything. Its just that I have general everyday pipes I use for work--they get used fairly hard. Then I have pipes I collect, and smoke them on weekends, and are NOT cheap. Pipes have become a passion for me as they are something I really enjoy. The reason I posted my comments was NOT to bash, or berate the Upshall line of pipes, but I really was taken of my heels when I looked at the workmanship--it was going to be added to my higher end collection. I am sorry if I offended anyone here on this matter---Pipes that are supposed to be like the one I have--"G" grade--high grade should NEVER exhibit qualities like engineering issues, etc.
    Thanks you guys---and oh yes----I know--buyer beware. Its going back.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The G grade is, of course, due to the grain and the (probable) lack of surface flaws. But I agree with you - a pipe for that kind of money shouldn't have physics issues. Since you were upset about it (understandable!), the ONLY answer is to send it back. Even if it smoked objectively fine, you'd still be irritated with the drilling, and that would negatively impact the subjective quality of the smoke you'd get. Since pipe smoking is about relaxation, this pipe doesn't fit in your collection.

Sorry about your rotten luck. Most of us have been there. It stings, but there are plenty of other pipes around!

FlatbushPaul and ol gto like this.
  12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I know if it were me, that I would never be satisfied and would probably never use it as much as I would have wanted to.
    Send it back.

Paul

ol gto likes this.
  13. Russell Hartman

Well--guys I took your advice. As I type this I just got back--Mailed it back--insured, and whole nine yards. This is going to haunt me for a while---I had such high hopes----------OH WELL----there are so many fine pies out there that I can slobber over. It ain't the end of the world.

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

No such thought!Most of us here can relate to that.

I've had the same experience with a few pipes over the years...takes the wind out of your sails!

No offense taken here.

The right decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.