1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

H&H Anniversary Kake Tinned vs Bulk

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WWhermit, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

I have quite a bit of Anni Kake cellared, several pounds in fact. All but 8 ounces of it is in bulk. I really, really like when it comes in "cake" form, and not broken up into a ribbon cut. Just makes me happier.

When I order it in bulk, it seems the bigger the order, the higher percentage of it comes in cake. I've even seen where 1 person made a special request and had a solid 4 lb block of Anni Kake sent. My dream!

Here's my question. For those that have ordered the 8oz tin of Anni Kake, how much of it was actually still in a cake form? Right now, the tins are quite a bit cheaper than bulk. I don't, however, want pounds of anni kake that arrives in ribbon cut. If I'm not mistaken, I think bulk and tinned versions are even processed in seperate houses.

Anyone with experience? Russ, feel free to chime in please.

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I only have cracked one tin of my order so keep in mind I can't affirm this is the norm, however...

I was actually wondering about this as well, whether there would just be an 8 oz brick in the middle of the tin. A little shake indicated this was not the case and, sure enough, I think "broken flake" is the best way to describe what I found on popping the top. It certainly was not a "ribbon" (even fully rubbed I wouldn't call AK ribbon). There were lots of chunks of varying sizings and a moderate amount of loose bits.

I was surprised by how much cheaper the tins were than bulk (which was great with the extra 20% last month!) so that's why I went that route.

3. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

The way it's blended you get a rough cut moist cake, even a block unless it's pressed for a long period of time is just going to fall apart.

4. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Also, the more it is cut down the more it is going to break up.

Kind of hit or miss if I remember right. I used to order 16 ounces bulk at a time and there was always some loose stuff in there.

I've only ordered the tins lately since they are cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.