H&H Darbyshire

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by Glenn, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

OK, who else bought some and has tried it? So far I am undecided, it is OK but I can't figure out the scent. Smells like spice cake or something. I think I read that Russ hinted that it is aimed at those who like Condor but it isn't close to Condor to me. Not even like a light version. Of course my experience with Condor is pretty limited. I have only smoked Condor flake and I don't remember it being anything like this.
  2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I got a tin of it but I haven't cracked it open yet.
  3. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

I just noticed it on the P&C site last night and thought it sounded really good as I'm big on dark burley/Kentucky, crumble cakes and plugs lately. I'm a bit disappointed to hear about the added flavouring. Would you consider it artificially sweet? How about the overall strength of the smoke -- taste, body, nicotine, etc.... would you consider it a mild, medium, or strong tobacco overall?
  4. furious

furious Active Member

I was given a sample at the NY Pipe Show and have smoked only two bowls, but I would say that it nothing like Condor---more like a traditional Va/Bur blend that has been given the crumble cake treatment. It's very nice even with the casing.
  5. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

Furious, I noticed your avatar pic when you introduced yourself to me in the New Memebers forum and mentioned my username. It's been driving me crazy ever since... I know who that is, I've seen him before, but I can't put my finger on it. At first I thought it was an actor but then changed my mind to Babe Ruth. Whoever it is seems to have a glorious schnoz. Maybe not in the same league as Malden, but it certainly has character. Please relieve this itch and tell me who it is.
  6. furious

furious Active Member

You guessed it....The Babe....and I do have a slight connection to him as my great-grandfather was a patron of George Sr.'s (Babe's Dad) bar in Baltimore. He went on a couple of fishing trips back in the 1910s with both Georges and said that young George was quite the character!
    JimInks likes this.
  7. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

The Bambino was but a big kid at heart. Thanks for sharing that.

Furious, you mentioned that you liked the sample of Darbyshire; mind sharing some of your regular tobacs and favourites so I can get some sort of a gauge on how similar our tastes are? I'm seriously considering trying a tin of Darbyshire, hence my pestering here. Being in Canada, an order from U.S. tobacco retailers has the potential to get very expensive (extra shipping, Customs, etc.), so I try to do as much homework on blends as I can.
  8. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Phonetic misspelling of Derbyshire? Harumph..only in america. :shead:
  9. furious

furious Active Member

Sure thing. My favorites are mostly heavy English blends like Nightcap, Penzance, and Black House with a few Virginias such as FVF and Dunhill Flake for good measure. I like rich, deep latakia used in moderate amounts with good Va. and turkish base. Squadron Leader is my favorite morning smoke generally, and I like a drugstore burley like Edgeworth for a nice change of pace once in a while.
    KarlMaldenNose likes this.
  10. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Smoking a bowl right now. Crumbles easy and fills the bowl easily. I get a buttery burley flavor with some Virginia swetness in the background. I detect the slightest topping in the finish that reminds me of some of the scented British stuff. If I was not concentrating on flavors I would prolly not notice it. Half a bowl down...No relights.