H&H Virginia Spice: No Cigar Leaf?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JimInks, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I placed a big order for 8 oz. tins of Virginia Spice before Christmas, but due to the amount of orders, VS was out of stock until recently. I see now it's back in stock, but the description of the ingredients has changed. When I ordered it, this was what they wrote: "Virginia, Perique, and cigar leaf. For the pipe smoker who really enjoys the clean, sweet spiciness of a mixture of matured Virginias, but who wants something a little different. The difference comes from the use of cool-smoking Perique for a bit of plum and pepper, with cigar leaf added for a hint of round richness."

This description is still at Tobacco Reviews.com, but at Pipe & Cigar's web site, they no longer list cigar leaf as a component. Has anyone else noticed this? I have not received my order as of today, and wonder if anybody has and noticed a difference in taste and/or tin description? Frankly, I could not taste the cigar leaf in the blend anyway, but I'd like to hear back from whoever here might be experienced with VS. If it was there and isn't now, I wonder if the cigar leaf was removed in order to decrease the delay of shipping the blend to customers? And, if the taste is different now? I also hope Russ reads this and will answer the question.

2. krusty

krusty Active Member

Go ahead and shoot your question to Russ. As busy a fellow as he is, he is amazing when it comes to responding to questions!
    russo@pipesandcigars.com

StubrnDutchman likes this.
  3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I bought 8 oz of VS just before the holidays and it was still listed as having cigar leaf at that time. Dang if I do detect a hint of it while smoking it. It is ever so faint though. Sometimes while exhaling a snork it is there. It is a rich yet mild smoke. Very enjoyable. It is definitely worth trying.
    I would be surprised if he changed the recipe on a whim.

4. JimInks

I figure they may have been overwhelmed by demand and short of cigar and maybe decided to delete it. But I will ask him.

5. JimInks

Here's Russ' response: "Virginia Spice still contains cigar leaf. It's a mild maduro leaf that just add a creaminess to the blend with no noticeable cigar flavor."

Now, I understand why I don't really get a cigar note. I also love maduro cigars. I'm relieved to know the formula wasn't changed, but it is odd the description at the website did.

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Maybe it was my imagination but I caught a subtle taste of cigar leaf in the batch I smoked. I liked Virginia Spice but not enough to get another tin.

7. krusty

krusty Active Member

He really does care about his product, that was fast response time!

JimInks likes this.
  8. JimInks

Yes, I was pleased at how quickly he responded and that the bend was not changed. Especially since I have a lot of eight oz. tins coming my way.

9. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

I'm a VA, VA/Pers smoker and took advantage of the 20% off deal they had on H&H and picked up a 8oz of the VS, the spice jumps right at you and stays true, burning down to a clean ash. Nice add to my VA rotation. Plan on ageing some of this.

JimInks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.