Had a talk with my local tobacconist

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MeerSteve, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeerSteve

MeerSteve Member

I had gone in there to pick up another tin of DaVinci by Dans Tobacco. I have to special order the tins, they don't stock any at all.

They were admiring my Baglan claw pipe I got recently, and I mentioned that they should consider stocking a couple of meerschaums. I figured 1 or 2 isn't much risk and they could see if they will sell. She said "We have some in our catalog!". We got it out, and the brand listed was Royal Meerschaum. What made me laugh was the price, a figural face pipe, for $7.95 ?? I had to explain to her about pressed meerschaum junk and recommended she not order any of those pipes. Then, I told her about some of the known, proven, name brands, like IMP, or Altinok, or Servi. She said she has to check her papers, and that she isn't allowed to just choose any supplier for the store. She admitted that some people have come in asking for meers, and she has had to turn them away. They said I'm the only person they have seen that actually has meerschaums, and I'm the only customer they have that orders tinned tobacco.

Its sad that store rules make it hard for her to expand, and just maybe become a meerschaum dealer.

jdto likes this.
  2. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Since you are the only one buying tins, would it be safe to say that this shop caters to a different clientele?

I know my local shop caters mostly to Cigar smokers, and pipe is just a sideline. Fortunately though, even as a sideline they do a pretty good job.

3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Good on you for trying to educate your local B&M. Hopefully, she can convince the "dark Lords" she works for to look into some higher quality pipes and tobaccos.

Stonewall and browny like this.
  4. MeerSteve

MeerSteve Member

This shop is about 95% cigarettes, maybe 4% cigars, and a handful of people interested in pipes. They have one small rack of cheap drugstore style pipes, and a few types of common tobacco brands, like prince albert, half & half, carter hall, etc. I wasn't asking the store to change just for me, I thought they might be able to cater to more people if they offered more pipe items. There are no stores in the city here that have any decent pipe stuff.

5. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

OK I get the idea now. We have some of those as well. Most well known around here is the Bacco Barn. Just about the same as you describe.

6. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

sounds similar to the cigarette shopper here in town. Mostly discount cigarettes and RYO tobacco. I will admit they have a decent selection if Grabows, MM, yellobole and medico pipes...along with a couple pipe stands and some other accessories, they also have 2 "Big Ben" pipes in a display case...They also have a decent OTC selection, so it is hard for me to complain...I wish they would stock some tinned tobacco though....oh well i guess there could be no pipe tobacco...

Good for you for educating the lady who was behind the counter.

7. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I have three if those shops in my town. Worthless waste of space to me. closest actual b&m to me is 50 miles found some no name briar pipes that have been good to ne so far. But it's a far cry to what some if you describe on here.

Gunslinger,

8. phinz

phinz Active Member

We have several of these types here in Knoxville and the surrounding area. Most of them go by the moniker Smokin' Joes. I go there for Carter Hall, since they're the cheapest, but I'm lucky enough to have Smoky's and Gatlinburlier within 3 miles of each of my places, so I tend to frequent them. Gatlinburlier doesn't have many tins, but the guys who work there are awesome. Smoky's has gotten better over the past year at carrying tins, and I'll tend to hit them when I'm having a case of TAD that has to be assuaged at this very moment.

9. F1guy

F1guy Member

I actually have a REALLY good B&M close to me in a mall around here. Their store is half and half cigars and pipes, but they do both equally well. They have both bulk and tinned tobacco. Though the employee politely scoffed at using a cob haha. Something I found though was that some London Mix was 2 bucks more expensive than online. Go figure.

10. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I believe I mentioned this in another thread, but I actually made the salesperson mad when I told them their "pipe tobacco" was RYO tobacco evading cigarette tax. I left before being asked. Nothing but cigarettes and glass pipes. I sure don't like that they can sell that stuff legally, since I am unaware of a legal use that it was designed for.

11. F1guy

F1guy Member

They get by with it by saying "For tobacco use only" which is crap. Nobody will ever smoke tobacco out of a glass pipe.

12. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I had a decent experience in a shop in hot springs, whole front area was nothing but pipes, lighters, cigar accessories. Back area near the register was more pipes a few shelves if tin tobacco, table of large jars bulk tobacco. Separate walk in humidor of cigars, even has a huge smoking lounge with multiple areas to sit.strictly pipe and cigars only. Only down side the owner/ manager leans more towards cigars, she didn't know much about pipes. Only down side was the taxes in tobacco. $18.95 for a tin of villiger mid day. got a couple of tins off of pipes and cigars for $6.20 each. I want to support the b&m but it's hard with price spikes like that.

Gunslinger,

MeerSteve and Raffxr7 like this.
  13. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

F1guy, I think it is a pretty bad deal but I can't continue on the topic without going FAR off the original topic, so I will let it go and move on.

As for my B&M, they cater to pipe smokers but do not carry a supply of anything but one peterson, one falcon, a few meers, grabows and basket pipes. They have a few tins, some cobs, and lane bulk blends along with SUPERVALUE and Smokers Pride bulk tobaccos.
    Their sister store carries maybe three grabows, zero meers, zero basket pipes, two or three cobs, and OTCs only. EXCELLENT humidor in each, though.
    Getting them to order something or admit an error is like pulling teeth.

14. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

That is inaccurate.
    I live near a college town, Terre Haute IN. and we have a TON of middle easterners in the area attending classes. Egyptians, Iranians, Indians, etc. They all smoke "hookah". As a matter of fact, there is a smoke shop / hookah lounge in the city that sells ONLY glass pipes and hookah tobacco.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

15. phinz

phinz Active Member

I smoke shishah, which is tobacco, in a hookah, but have no use for the little glass pipes. I own three hookahs and enjoy the heck out of them all. If you think pipe smoking is a ritual, you ought to try properly enjoying the hookah. It takes tons of prep and there are etiquette rules regarding it. It's a fascinating world.

Stonewall likes this.
  16. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

A couple of times a year I drive down to Windsor, Ontario to visit my folks and siblings and there are some really good tobacco shops there. I try to stock up as much as possible while I am there.

17. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Unfortunately, this is what's its come tonin regard to the traditional tobacconist shop, or B&M. When I first arrived here in 1999 there were a few tobacco shops in town. The closest to an actual tobacconist shop was in the mall, and mostly dealt in cigars, both high and low end.

I didn't smoke a pipe at the time, so I don't recall if they sold actual tins, or OTC's. I understand there's one left in the larger center about an hour away, but I'm not sure of their inventory either.

I actually look forward to revisiting home (Charleston, WV) so I can check a proper tobacconist there, "The Squire Tobacconist". According to their website, they are as close to a proper and traditional B&M. And they appear to have quite the selection of tobaccos.

18. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

My local guy is kind of funny about pipes and pipe tobacco. He gets a wild hair and orders a bunch of stuff every once in a while and then it doesn't sell. Then he puts it on sale for close to nothing. I've gotten a lot of tobacco and pipes this way.

I do buy cigars and accessories (lighter fluid, ashtrays, etc) from him so I am welcome to smoke there in the colder months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.