Had Frog Morton for the first time tonight......

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David L, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David L

David L Member

So, my new Johs freehand Dublin sitter came in the mail today as well as the tin of Frog I ordered. The pipe is seriously a beast and I couldn't be more happy. I love the Savinelli I grabbed recently, but this thing takes the cake. I'm definitely going to get more big pipes in the future.

I'd like to say that I'm a relatively new ("full time") pipe smoker and my review and understanding of tobaccos is always growing and changing.

It's about 34 F here, but you always have to try out a new pipe. I let the kids get on their coats and hang out with me while I try out the new pipe. I load her up about a third of the way because the pipe chamber is 2.08 x 0.83 (told you :groucho: ).

I started puffing away on the Frog and was amazed at how smooth it is. This was a whole different experience than the other two English blends I've tried. I've only smoked aromatics until a a couple weeks ago when I started trying some English blends. This blend is great! It had that Latakia flavor, but it wasn't as strong as in the Balkan I have. Right off the bat I started tasting something that, to me, tastes like honey or caramel or something to that effect. It almost tasted like chocolate at a couple different points in the bowl, but maybe that was my imagination. It had just enough sweetness, but just enough Latakia to satisfy my likings. As I write this I am drinking my coffee before work and I can still taste the sweetness from the Frog.

All in all it was great and I wished I'd bought the 100g tin. This will definitely be a tobacco that I will purchase again and I would highly recommend this to someone that wants to delve into the realm of English blends.

PS- If anyone that knows what the flavors I was tasting come from (as I know many of you do) I would appreciate some feedback. I'm just beginning to learn about the tastes and flavors and any help you give me would be great! :thankyou:

2. beeftip

beeftip Member

That flavor is toasted marshmallow.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

David, as far as I can tell Frog Morton contains basically two tobaccos. I'm sure there are others sneaking around, but if I was going to try and mimic it, I'd grab a handful of sweetened black cavendish and a handful of cyprian latakia and go from there. Some people scream if you suggest that Frog has black cav in it, so I'm happy to use the term "sweetened stoved virginia" if that makes others calm down.

I find that most black cavendishes have a component that reminds me of ... I dunno toasted coconut or something. It's sort of it's own flavor. So in Frog, you get the campfire sort of taste from the latakia, and the sweetness and a sort of roasty flavor from the other component(s). In this case I think it's mostly the sweetened va. It's unfortunate that most/many blends that contain black cavendish are heavily topped in the Danish or German aromatic style. It's interesting stuff if used as a component in "serious" tobaccos too.

Another way to shape this is to think that probably the other English blends you have smoked have oriental components which can present as anything from almost tea-like to sort of sharp and pungent. Frog Mo has none of that. Move into Frog on the Town, and suddenly there's an oriental component (Basma) that offers a sort of cedar-like flavor.

Also glad to see another guy get into big pipes. You can't always sit for 2 hours, but when you can.... it's sure nice. Nothing like putting a slow simmer on 1/2 ounce of good toby.

If you dig the Frog, check out "Anniversary" from McClelland too. It's another oriental-less mix, but just a little less sweet. (Eventually, Frog Morton is like too many cookies.)

4. CMcF

CMcF Member

I definitely notice that chocolatey thing going on in the latakia blends as well. I'd call it ..........chocolate, also a nutty thing as well.......that being said after a month of smoking I'm no expert that's just what I get.....that being said I smoke presby and SL not frog but, I really want to try it!

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

With presbyterian, I always think "plums and black tea" and with squadron leader you can get a really neat hit of an almost rose-water sort of scent every once in awhile. Don't know if it's added of if it's a product of the latakia or orientals.

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Big pipes are great, gotta love the long smokes! Also, if you like the slight sweetness in the Frog line you should also check out Northwoods by Boswell.

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Thanks Sas, as a Frog Morton and FM OTT lover, I just added "Anniversary" from McClelland to my TAD list. :thumbsu:
    It gets pretty good reviews on TR too.

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

There aren't too many simple blends around. That's because simple is tougher to get right than "throw some of this and that in".
    Anniversary is a gem. A simple gem, but a gem nonetheless.

9. David L

David L Member

Thanks for all the replies guys......I'm glad to know I wasn't going crazy.

Thanks to Saquatch for the in-depth explanation and the suggestions from all of you. It's funny because I know I'm tasting something in there I just can't explain it. If I have some reference points with flavors I have now then I can understand others a little better.

I'm definitely going to have to try Anniversary, Presbyterian and FMOTT.

I'm definitely digging the big pipe, Sasquatch. It's perfect. I like a smaller pipe because I can clench it, but believe it or not I can do the same with this one even though it's 3.4 oz. Probably not good for my teeth or the stem, huh?

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Depends on the pipe. I have some monstrous pipes (I'm talking a full 1/4 pound) that hang wonderfully because they are balanced well.

Small pipes excel at certain things, but you can pack a big pipe with a little tobacco, and you can't force feed a group 1 a big roll-up of Club Blend, so I err on the side of too large more often than not.

11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Big freehands RULE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.