Half and Half in a MM Cob

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by davidmackv, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Bought a little half and half tonight at the local Kroger. It was only 2.49 for a pouch, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. Actually I was surprised at it's flavor and smokability. I really like this stuff. It is now my favorite OTC, with PA chasing a close second. I also bought a pouch of Sir Walter, but haven't tried it yet.

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Have you detected any cinnamon flavor? The only pouch I smoked I would sometimes get a hint of cinnamon.

3. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Not yet, but I have only smoked one bowl.

4. woody

woody Admin Admin

Let me know how it goes. I smoked that one pouch and didn't buy anymore because I couldn't get it dry enough to keep lit, but I do live in a very humid climate...

ruffinogoldswife likes this.
  5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I smoke H&H exclusively, in cobs and briars. I have never noticed any cinnamon flavor. But I also only buy it in the tubs. I'm with you on PA being right there almost.

6. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

H and H and cobs are made for each other! Very good combo. While I am not exclusive to H and H I do smoke a lot of it and have for years and I have never had the cinnamin flavor come through. Nor the plastic some people complain of. Just a good smoke. As far as moisture, I never have much trouble, the first light takes a few lights but then once lit, all goes well for me.

7. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

I think H&H will be the next tobacco I try.
    I have tried PA, CH, and Granger.
    Liked the PA and CH better then the Granger.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Interesting! I couldn't place it as cinnamon, but there was something in this blend that made it not work for me. I hate cinnamon! I wonder if that was the issue. I'd try it again to see, but the experience was so negative, I'll just assume that was it. :D

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I find Half and Half is a love it or hate it blend. I like it a lot but know many whom do not. I am not a Granger fan either. I smokes OK but nothing I reach for.

10. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

After reading some other posts about it I think I might try SWR instead.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

There ya go !!! SWR :ohyh:

12. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I have some SWR but have not tried it. Just bought it last night.

13. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

It's another good one with many fans, you can't go wrong either way.

14. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have tried my H&H in a cob before I flushed it. :rolleyes:

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Half 'N Half has an old timey top note that reminds me of licorice, horehound...something. Aniseed? I get all these confused. I like it, though, and...well, I doubt anyone will agree, but I think Kentucky Club Mild is a milder interpretation of it. KCM appears drier, too, if that matters. I hafta be in the mood for either, but as an ocassional smoke, they both are fine. My son had a fondness for Half 'N Half too...:)

16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Half and Half is one of those blends you have to try. You may or may not like it, but you ought try it anyway. However, you can't go wrong with SWR. I think all the American OTC's go best in cobs, and currently SWR and Walnut are my morning smokes. (Ah, Burley for breakfast :sailor:).

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I only wish I could get for $2.49 here in Texas. It runs about $4.25 with the tobacco tax we have here, and a tub of it runs damn near $50. That's the story for all tobies here, and in the case of Captain Black they're charging over $9 a pouch. I don't much care for Captain Black, so I could care less about that, but it's killing me on others. I make a point of going to the local grocery store and buying a pouch of Carter Hall (which runs $4.99 a pouch) once a month just so they'll keep the stuff in stock. I wish we had decent tobacco shops in my neck of the woods, but they all seem to pander to K2 smokers and also sell bongs and meth pipes (novelties, dontcha know). I refuse to deal with head shops.

18. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Yes, as a Texan, I am disappointed in our state legislatures that sllowed our taxes to rise so fast. They snuck them in for the "children" a couple of years back. So I must go out of state for my tobacco and is why my cellar is so big.

Kentucky Club is another very good OTC to try, very mild and nutty.

19. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Well it is also made in Kentucky and I live in Kentucky. All other OTCs run 3.50 to 5.00

20. Scottly

Scottly Member

This thread got me wanting to try H & H so I bought a pouch today. I have smoked two bowls of it so far and found it very smooth. Its different from CH for sure, a much lighter or perhaps cleaner taste. The burley flavor seemed to come in more towards the middle to finish. Bright seemed to be a fitting description for how it tasted for the first half the bowl. Not bad at all, I will definately smoke more of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.