Half and Half

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by eddy13, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Tried a couple bowls of Half and Half. Not doing much for me.
    I prefer PA much more.
    I have an almost full pouch,so if anyone wants it send me a message.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I flushed mine. (Seriously)
    It was local and only $3.50
    PA (and CH) are much better!

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I don't like it either.

Try giving it to your worst enemy. :groucho:

4. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

Ive never tried it, what would you want for it?

5. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Nothing..

I'd rather just let someone else have it..

If you want to try it out-PM me with you info and it's yours..

6. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Half and Half will soon find a new home overseas..

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Dag... that's a long way to send some Half & Half. Nice give.

I haven't tried any in years but recall it was loaded with PG/humectant; felt a bit soapy, was always too moist and smoked too sweet. Blah blah blah.... back to Carter Hall.

8. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I let my h/h dry out for a few hours and it smokes great.

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I used to smoke it in the early 1980's, when I was stationed in Korea and couldn't get anything else. As I recall, it was a decent smoke. I bought some a month or so ago on a whim, and I thought it was just terrible. Thinking maybe I had a bad pouch, I bought some last week and it was just as bad. Both pouches are up for adoption if anybody wants them.

I'm not about to blame it on the "drug store" pedigree because I love Prince Albert and Carter Hall, and keep either one on hand at all times. (Right now it's Prince Albert, as I ran out of Carter Hall a few months back and have yet to rebuild the cellar supply).

10. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

My Half and Half supply is all between 5 and 10 years old, and is a very good smoke. It shines in a cob or in my cheap briars (Dr. Grabow's) rather than my nicer briars. This is one smoke I truly sip. It overheats too easily and loses much of its flavor, turning harsh and bitter. The tin smokes better than the pouch on this one, but it isn't drastic. Let the pouch breathe for a few hours or overnight to dry it out some, and try it again -- s l o w l y . You might find it smokes better than before.

Of course, there is a whole world of different tobaccos out there -- if you can't imagine taking the time with Half and Half, there are much "better" tobaccos to become aquainted with. I really enjoyed a bowl of Sugar Barrel today, from some I sourced through 4noggins last year sometime. It was a truly wonderful smoke, though I didn't care for it at all when I tried when I received the order. Now, I want to buy a tin to cellar for awhile, so I can smoke it regularly in my rotation!

11. raffles07

raffles07 Member

Seems to be one of those love or hate ones. I quite like it, but can't stand Sugar Barrel, there you go. Current production H&H dries quickly - much faster than CH or Sugar Barrel for eg - as a test for pg. For those not liking it, the reasons must be otherwise, maybe something to do with the heavy casing (anise?).

I've also heard it improves with a bit of aging. Mine had over a year on it when I opened it, so it would be fair to say I've never tried it young.

12. eddy13

eddy13 Member

It may be something I'll revisit later on. I'm enjoying PA and have some Granger to try out next....

13. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

Half and Half well I can say, it was my first pipe tobacco and well, I used it in my garden. pretty bad

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It works quite nicely in the garden! That's where my tub went as well. I'm not sure what the problem was, as I enjoy a lot of OTC's. That one just hit me wrong. Sour and bitter with a medicinal taste. Bad batch, perhaps, but I'm in no hurry to try it again.

15. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I'm with dmkerr, all I ever got was the same sour and bitter medicinal taste. I hate it!!!

16. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

Yup same taste here, I realy tryed to bear with it, not wanting to throw tobacco away but I would rather smoke my granddads corn silk. or cow patties

17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Half and Half was the first and only tobacco I ever flushed down the toilet! :eek:

18. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

I'll add to the consensus. Prince Albert and Carter Hall are good. Half and Half: not so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.