1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

hands free smoking

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by idiotbox37, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

Mar 20, 2011
    i've tried but i just can't smoke a pipe by just clenching it. i drool too much so i have to remove the pipe every few puffs to swallow/spit. is it a technique thing? would be a useful thing to learn for my driving smokes.
  2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I'm the opposite, I like to put a pipe in my mouth, leave it, and apart from the taste pleasure - forget about it!, especially when working in my shop. It works best for me with a small(ish) full bent pipe, or oom Paul, I can just sorta let it dangle from the front teeth, and move it around to different positions without touching it!, longer straight pipes can be difficult - it's all a matter of leverage, and balance.:)
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    Lifetime clencher. You'll learn to suck in your saliva. I wouldn't call it a "technique" per se but if you keep doing it, it'll become second nature.
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    I'm in full agreement here...it is a subtle(minor, unimportant?) thing, learning to tongue block the button and adjust moisture (drool) in your mouth. There is no party foul given for removing your pipe and correcting this, either. There is even no penalty for not clenching...if it doesn't seem comfortable to you...don't!

Just don't clench a pipe in public, droolin' on yerself...probably not the most dignified thing you could do.

Now go have fun practicing!
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I was in the same boat, but have found it easier and easier to clench for longer periods without issue. I especially like to do so while driving or reading.
  6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I have found it easier the more I smoke? Beale.
  7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Try a cob! Easiest pipe to clench, or nearly so.

8. SmokingGun

SmokingGun Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I agree. While driving is one of the few places I can regularly smoke (it's not quite banned at my house) and I find a cob the perfect driving pipe. It's lighter than most briars and most have smaller bowls, so less tobacco weight. That said, after only few days of trying this, I already worry that I'm going to learn exactly what those old-timers are talking about when they say "I bit through the stem".
  9. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I have the Danish bits on mine, and can see they are a lot sturdier than the standard clear orange/yellow ones.
  10. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

May 6, 2010
    Up to a few weeks ago, I would have said that the MM Missouri Pride (has a natural finish, which I prefer) with a Forever Nose Warmer stem was the best clincher, ever. When I called MM to order some more Diplomat naturals, Marylin said they'd run out due to lack of cobs the proper size. But, she said I could buy some prototype pipes they had called the Morgan. Picture a miniature version of the Diplomat (with a thinner wall) with a nose warmer stem. This pipe uses a non-filter stem and is 4 1/2 inches long and weighs 18 grams. My lightest Pride weighs 23 grams. The Morgan will also accommodate the long Pony stem.

You'd think that this pipe might smoke hotter due to the thin walls but I've not found that to be the case. Also surprising is that I've had some really long smokes for such a small bowl. My longest smoke was with LNF and was 71 minutes and I generally get 45-60 minute smokes with va/vapers.

Of my 15 cobs, this one is my absolute favorite. With the unfiltered stem and small shank, the draw is perfect. The mouthpiece is smaller than the Danish stems I'm used to but they are comfortable. At 18 grams, you are hardly aware that you have a pipe in your mouth.

MM has a winner here and, if they can mass produce this pipe, I think it will be a top seller.

11. Duke

Duke Member

Jan 6, 2011
    My best smoking pipes are my most often used pipes. That group gets further shortened do to stem size. A slim stem works best for me. I also place the stem further into my mouth and resting partially on the molars. Squat lucite stems just don't work for me, so know I look for high quality narrow vulcanite stems. I swear that holding the stem by your incisors alone promotes saliva production, whereas lining up the stem along the molars uses a different set of jaw muscle thus eliminating excessive spit production. Yes, your pipe rests closer to the corner of your mouth, but it can stay parked there without annoyance or fatigue or spit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.