Happiness is a full mailbox

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bahnzo, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Opened up the mailbox today, and within were two packages. Don't ya love it when that happens?

One box: My new Peterson XL305 P-Lip.
    The other, a large(ish) order from Mars cigars, containing:

1 Tin MacB's Navy Flake - Wanted to try a flake, and this seems to be a good one.
    1 Tin MacB's Club Blend - Good reviews, coins (new for me), and TotM here, so have to try it.
    1 Tin Dan's Blue Note - I stumbled across this and it caught my eye because I'm a huge lover of jazz music. Stupid reason to buy a tobacco maybe, but it has some favorable reviews so.......
    1 pouch Carter Hall - I can't find this locally *anywhere*, dunno if it's a regional thing or what, but nothing but Capt Black and Prince Albert around here. Had to try it since I do like PA.
    Bulk Lane Stuff
    8oz 1-Q - I like this stuff, especially mixed with PA and some chocolate or vanilla from MacB's.
    2oz BCA
    2oz RLP-6
    2oz Very Cherry
    Had to give the Lane bulks a try since I did like the sample of 1-Q I had. Next up some other bulks.

A thumbs up to Mars..their prices are overall cheaper than others, and shipping is not only as cheap or cheaper, but is shipped priority mail, so it's pretty quick.

So now my only problem is: what do I break my new Peterson in with? So many choices.....

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Honestly? To actually break it in, that Carter Hall will do nicely, AND won't ghost your pipe. Of course, you bought a buttload of ghosty weed, so maybe it doesn't faze you.

3. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I've only now just started to be able to appreciate the subtle nuances in flavor of some tobaccos. I dunno if it's taste buds being shot from 20yrs of cigs (even tho I quit 6 months ago), pipes just starting to get broken in, or just my palate adjusting to the new experience.

And Carter Hall it is....I loaded up the Pete and it's smoldering nicely. Not sure if I can tell the difference between CH and PA, but I will say this: The Pete is awesome! Or more aptly, the P-Lip is awesome. The Pete is nice of course...very nice to have something that hangs nicely for extended, hands-free operation while I'm typing. But the P-Lip design is something that I really like.

Time to go read up on how to pack flake......

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

P-lips are nice, I agree. Nuances aren't the easiest thing to pick up for me, either. I almost have to have two pipes lit simultaneously to compare weeds.

Oh, and flakes are fun! (Ask my wife.) :thumbsu:

5. mpchem

mpchem Member

Congrats! There's nothing quite like getting a huge shipment in the mail. I'm with you on the flake packing. Just learned how myself not two hours ago.

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

One box had my Bob Davison (fl51goose) commissioned "Hemingway".....she's a huge "Author-Blowfish"! Amazing work Bob! And he tossed in some toby to boot! Thanks Bob!

Box #2 was my order through Park-Lane

Red Paramour ("Red Crack") 1lb
    Pipe Club Mixture 4oz
    Connoisseur's Flake 2oz
    Turkish Mystery 2oz

All Park-Lane toby. Roundin' out the cellar and enjoyin' along the way! :)

Great "Haul" Bahnz!

Wonder if we were at the mailboxes at the same time...........

I agree with the CH being a great one for the "burn-in"! P-lips are cool. Be careful you don't scorch the roof of your mouth like I did when I got my first one. Congratz on your new babe and loads of toby to keep her warm!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

7. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Pics of the pipe?

The CH was good in the new Pete. Like I said, not sure I could tell any difference between it and PA..I'm sure other's will disagree. No problem on the roof burn, the CH smoked nice and cool. Really loved the pete, that Plip is something else. Does no one else copy that design? Surely it's copywrite/trademark has lapsed by now.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Pics of "Hemingway" will come when I find my darned "round tuit" ;)

Savinelli makes a bit like the Pete P-lip.......can't recall what Sav calls it.

Enjoy! :)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

9. pottsy

pottsy Member

Nice haul. And yeah, Bob makes some nice pipes. And he has that cool 'stache to.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Bahnzo ... you scored ! :thumbsu:

11. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

So...some quick reviews.

Club Blend: I tried just craming some of the coins in the pipe and it didn't work so well. I'm guessing they are kinda like a flake and expand somewhat. It only served to clog the pipe and needed multiple relights. Have to take it easier on the next try and consider rubbing it out. Enjoyed the flavor tho, my first foray with a Virginia I think.

Blue Note: Darn good. The smell of the tin isn't all that great, almost smells like rotten fruit. But smokes great...smooth, but has a very slight spice to it. Not like a latakia spice, more like prunes I think. Smoking it right now in my new Pete and can't find anything bad to say about it.

Very Cherry (from Lane): goopy and perfumy....not good at all. I'll give it one more chance, but it really wasn't good at all. I really didn't expect anything great from it, but it was worse than I expected. Might try blending it with some CH or PA.

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a great mailbox day, Bahnzo! Every Pete I've tried has been a champion smoker and I hope you'll enjoy yours for many years.

CH and PA are indeed very similar. I enjoy both although right now I'm leaning slightly towards CH. The only difference between them to me is that CH has a subtle hint of fruit.

Try mixing up some CH, PA and that Very Cherry. I've done a bit of "kitchen sink" blending in the past, and the results were always smokeable. One "learn from my fail" I'd suggest is to start your blending with just enough for one bowl so you can adjust the proportions to taste and don't risk ending out with a bunch of smoke you don't like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.