Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by IrishRover, Dec 31, 2010.
Yep....here comes another one, better than that other one. Happy New Year!
Hey Falcon, Here in the SOUTH we eat blackeye peas for good health and the cabage is for good luck and more money.
Can't say I remember it totally, but being originally from Georgia and moving to North Carolina as a teen I seem to recall we don't eat cabbage... If my memory serves me correctly, each portion all goes to luck and wealth. It's:
- Ham (or some form of pork) and not chicken (or any other poultry). That way you live fat like a pig instead of scratching for money or food like a chicken does all year.
- Blackeyed peas for luck (don't remember why they are lucky, but I remember them being for luck and health).
- Collard (or mustard) greens also for luck... in hopes it brings you lots of "green."
- Cornbread so you have a good harvest season.
- Peach (or blackberry, blueberry, cherry, etc.) cobbler so some sweetness is added to the year.
I seem to remember the cabbage waiting until March 17th and then being served with corned beef (virtually everyone in the south is of Scotch/Irish descent!).
I guess everyone could have their own variations, but this is what I remember.
Good Morning everyone,
Happy New Year!
May The Tobacco Gods smile on you,
Brilliant Guys - learned quite a lot there, thanks! Usual apologies for leading us slightly off topic!
aren't they playing in the super bowl halftime show? :whistle:
I'm late to the party, with only 1:15 left in the day here, but nonetheless: Happy New Year! 2011 is going to be great!