1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Hardcastle bulldog - photo and question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jhe888, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I got this on eBay a few months ago. It smokes well, and I like the proportions. It is marked Hardcastle over Special DeLuxe and there is an H on the stem. The briar is okay, but there are a couple of small fills. Hardcastle is owned by Dunhill, and from what I can tell, is Dunhill's third rank name. Is that right? Is there more to know?

(The tamper was made by Big Ben - I have had it for for close to 30 years.)

[​IMG]

2. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

3. ichabod

ichabod Member

That's a very nice bulldog!

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Nice pipe! not trying to be pedantic - but isn't it a 'Rhodesian'?....I'm not sure when a bulldog becomes a Rhodesian!:cfsd:

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I thought it was a Rhodesian if it had a round shank. This one appears to be a bull dog, but I am far from an expert on these things.

Good looking pipe!

6. jhe888

jhe888 Member

It has a square shank, and I have always believed that Rhodesians have round shanks.

Mister Moo likes this.
  7. Beale

Beale Active Member

Well whatever the Name? It is a nice looking pipe! I will have to get me one of these some day, Beale.

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm hankerin' for a dog myself after the "Dog Days of Summer" and all their pics.

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

When you dress up a bulldog in a pink pig costume, it becomes a rhodesian. Ha Ha, inside PSF humor....

If the diamond shank or flat-bottomed diamond shank (flat-bottoms will have a 5-sided diamond shank) extends to the bottom of the bowl or even goes forward of the bowl bottom (sort of like a canoe), it's a buldoggie. If it has a round bottom (regardless of the diamond shank), it's a Rhodie, usually Rhodies will have a round shank.

Ed
    Puff

Beale likes this.
  10. shadow

shadow Active Member

A nice pipe you have here!
    With regards to determining the name of the shape: I always thought that a bent Bulldog was called Rhodesian....???? The only difference being it to be curved regardless of the shape of the shank.....?????

11. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Nope. There are several "Breeeds" of bulldogs...bent being one of them. As others have stated, the round shank is what makes a Bulldog a Rhodesian...at least that's what I've read from more than just the people here ;)

shadow likes this.
  12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Thanks! That's good to know:)!

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've seen lots of Hardcastles and smoked a few. Some of them had minor flaws I could see, some didn't. This is opposed to Parker pipes, another Dunhill marque, which had no flaws I could pick out. Then again, I'm not a Dunhill inspector!

Your Hardcastle pipe should serve you very well! Dunhill "thirds" were often better than a lot of seconds, at least the ones I saw were. Nice pipe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.