1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

hardcastle - to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by skoots02, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skoots02

skoots02 Member

Ive come across an old hardcastle camden - unsmoked, still in the box. Ive heard these era hardcastles are like Dunhills with a few scrapes and dings? Is it worth $55 US dollars? Any hardcastle supporters care to help??

2. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

i believe they are dunhill seconds

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Hardcastle

Didn't know if you had read any of this. I'm not much of an English pipe guy, but $55 seems a little steep considering that there are lots of really good pipes that go for less than that on ebay.

4. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Every Hardcastle I've ever owned was a great smoker. It's really up to you whether you feel the pipe fits your aesthetic and your wallet. For $55.00, it would have to be a pretty Hardcastle for me to buy it.

:thumbsu:
    -- Carl

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Hardcastles have the name of being "good smokers" and today aren't the cheapest of pipes to buy new - I have also heard that at one time they were Dunhill seconds but am sure they are made in their own right now. The price does seem a little high for merely a second handgood smoker though,

Best

Gerry

6. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I've seen new unsmoked savinelli roma's on ebay that sold for 40-50$ range and I can tell you they smoke beautifully and look nicer than hardcastle's in my opinion.

7. skoots02

skoots02 Member

thanks fellahs - that's kinda what i thought. The difference for me is no internationl freight $ and risk buying off USA Ebay. Pipes like this come up rarely in NZ - so i may put in a suggestion for an early birthday present to wifey.

Appreciated your comments

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have a hardcastle old bruyere that I found in a bin at a pipe show. Brought it back to life with sandpaper & carnauba wax. It's a good smoking pipe & it only cost me 10 bucks
    [attachment=699:P6230592.JPG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.