Has anybody tried Scotty's Bulk Blend - Butternut Burley...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BriarRabbit, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

and; if so, what were your thoughts? I've read the reviews on P&C but want to know what the good folks on PSF think.

2. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

It was one of the first tobaccos I smoked. I find it very similar to Trout stream which was also one of the first tobaccos I was smoking. I find it to be a mild Aromatic similar in strength and body to Captain Black White.

I enjoyed it and it was probably one of my favorites until a PSF enabler member got me hooked on English blends. After that it just seemed a little empty

BriarRabbit and Rodfather like this.
  3. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Empty for me too, it will ghost your pipe

BriarRabbit likes this.
  4. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Interesting y'all... thanks; I appreciate your thoughts.

5. mugwump

mugwump Member

It's still one of my favorite aromatics and I smoke it regularly.

6. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

I actually enjoy this once in a while, smooth with no bite. I say try it.

SHawn

7. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

I'll get some to try... if I like, I'll buy pounders :)

ShawnP likes this.
  8. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

I smoked this one as sort of a nightcap for a while. The room note is amazing, the baccy is sweet, and no bite. JMVHNO

9. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

I like it, it's a good mild aro...smoke it in the car once in a while.

10. Gig

Gig Member

It does nothing for me but alot of folks do rave about it. Taste is subjective so I suggest buying 2 oz and trying it for yourself. I found it hot and tasteless :)

11. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

I just ordered some Butternut, along with Scotty's Stonewall a couple weeks back. They were my first, "real" tobaccos and were both quite good.

I took to the Stonewall a lot more than I did the Butternut, which has lead me to believe I'm an English blend smoker. The scent of the Butternut was a little too "much" for me, as oppose to the campfire scent of the Stonewall which was extremely enjoyable. The taste of the Butternut was occasionally delicious, but mostly what I experienced was the "cardboard" flavor that I've seen referenced in regards to aromatics in general. The Stonewall, however, tasted extremely interesting. Front row center is a bit of a "soapy" taste, but there's all kinds of other spicy goodness to be detected.

How much I liked Stonewall prompted me to go for the, "high end," English blends on my next and most recent purchase. Just to give myself an idea of the taste difference between "cheap" bulk as compared to "respected" tins. Have to say... kind of leaning toward re-ordering that Stonewall.

12. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

You might want to try Prebyterian Mixture then... thx for the info on both scotty blends

pacificflows likes this.
  13. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Can't seem to find a place that has it stocked. Shucks.

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Zzzzzzz , Zzzzzzzz , Zzzzzzzz .... and then someone lit up some Wessex and I woke up saying " Burley " !

It ' s not as bad as that .. but it's pretty flat . It does light and smoke well and the aro flavor is what saves it from putting you to sleep .

15. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

pacificflows likes this.
  16. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Are you talking about Wessex Burley Broadcut in 7oz?

17. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Hey, thanks for the link. Yeah, I'm kind of using the, "I'm new at this," thing as an excuse to go overboard. Once the honeymoon phase for this pipe smoking thing is over for the misses, it's back to the Stonewall I go.

BriarRabbit likes this.
  18. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I'm hooked on Butternut Burley. I have fifteen pints of it jarred!:D I smoke it several times a day along with CH. In the evening I often switch to an English tho.

BriarRabbit likes this.
  19. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

I love...loved the taste of butternut burley! Got a pound in the cellar. Now, however, for some reason, just 2 puffs into a bowl, it makes me very, very nauseous. Almost pukey kinda nauseous. It's a shame, because I like(d) it a lot.

Trout Stream is similar, in my opinion, and it doesn't have that effect on me.

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yes it comes in 7 oz . ... Wessex Burley Broadcut is Man Burley ! What I meant was the smell alone form it woke me out of the dull slumber .. lol . the Wessex Burleys are excellent

BriarRabbit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.