Has anyone ever tried Sterling 1776 toby's?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sorringowl, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

I was just checking out the thread on Carter Hall and Ruffino mentioned to Whalehead about SWR (which I now want to try). I thought, though, Ruffino was saying he should try "SWR Whalehead," which I thought was a SWR blend I had never heard of :roflmao:

So, dork that I am, I went to Tobyreviews and looked up SWR whalehead (which brought up nothing, of course) and then whale. Long story short (too late) I got sidetracked and found Sterling's Boston Whaler and then read about Jack Peterson and his Sterling and Sterling 1776 tobacs. There aren't a ton of reviews but they are consistently four stars and raving!

Coincidentally enough, he compares a lot of his toby's to many over the counter and mass market tobacs. Looks like you can get free samples from his website as well. Hmm, might be worth trying.

Sterling tobacco

Anyone here ever try any of these? :popcorn:

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I've had Chairman of the Board...really good, and I have Tavern at the house now...an excellent Balkan. Get you a free sample and see why I'm a repeat customer!

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Yes, I was sent a couple of samples and they are very good.

5. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I received a sample of Chairman of the Board and their Bargain Blend. It was quite good, though I prefer VAs right now, I might have to dig out the sample and give it another try. Ask for a sample of whatever sounds good to you, you won't regret it.

6. scworrell

scworrell Member

:yikes: FREE TOBY?!? :geek:

:bow: God bless you people!

7. yinyang

Yup. Also, Tobacco Trader gives away a free sample of 'Savannah', a damned good aro...and Altadis USA sends a free tin when you register with them as well.

In case ya care...

8. scworrell

scworrell Member

Although I'm just as happy to hear it, I don't feel I should repeat my previous post.
    Perhaps a simple "Thanks" will suffice.

9. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Sorringowl! I also got a free sample of Sterling 1776 and I found it to be a good tobacco, but I felt it was too expensive for the results of the flavorfullness of blend. I found that Stonehaven, SG FVF, Penzance, and the PS Flake tobaccos were more to my liking. At this point in my pipe enjoyment I am more into Flake Tobaccos; I recently got a sample of SG Navy Flake from Mr. Moo and I definitely want more of this in the "worst kind of way". :thumbsup:

10. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i got a sample of 1776 Tavern--i was quite pleased with it--not being an English/Balkan user i have little reference, but i enjoyed the sample i received--

11. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback and the links to free tobacco! I'm thinking this is definitely worth a try. :thankyou:

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hey man , my writing sucks I know ... lol ... anyway , I tried a sample of their stuff and it was good ! The price list that came with it seemed real steep to me . I havent reordered just because of cost. Seems their stuff is just fine . Honestly , I don't remember the name of the blend I tried .

13. yinyang

My local B&M has several of 1776/Sterling bulk blends...all for far less than buying direct. I don't believe they sell over the phone or mail out though.

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

So......you're gonna be our "middle-man" Yin? :whistle: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I had some Sterling Balkan bulk that I ordered on a whim. It was cased with something that smelled like raspberries, which struck me as odd. Threw it away. Doesn't mean they're all bad or weird, of course, but that one was too bizarre for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.