Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by el guero, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el guero

el guero Member

I am currently smoking a bowl of McClelland's Blue Mountian and I had to step outside and the flavor imediately took on a new note, a new very good note. If it wasn't so cold I would have stood outside and finished the bowl. So have you ever smoked a blend that smoked better inside or outside?

RTOdhner and Buckshot like this.
  2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Yes, this has happened to me several times. Nice to know I'm not the only one. I think it has something to do with the cold air because it has only happened to me in cooler weather.

JimInks, RTOdhner and el guero like this.
  3. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I spent Christmas last year at my wife's Uncle's place on the edge of the Rockies. I had some amazing smokes while I was there and wouldn't be surprised if the cold temperature and high altitude had an effect.

4. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

I would say that is always the case. The smokes I take walking from school to home versus the smokes I have at home are widely different. The fresh air has a very positive effect I think. Maybe it's the same as with outdoor eating/cooking, food never tastes as good as it does in the outdoors near a camp fire.

JimInks and el guero like this.
  5. highstump

highstump Active Member

This pretty much mirrors my experiences. Food always tastes better to me outdoors. The pipe not always, but the majority of the time.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Seems to happen to me no matter what blend I smoke. Not sure how the cold air does it, but it does.

7. Phatmandu

Phatmandu Member

Absolutely...always seems that fall/winter as much more pleasurable.

8. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

All the time. I'm still loosely keeping track of what may be causing the differences. Temperature and humidity seems to have something to do with it which is why I note those in the "What are you smoking" thread. Then again it might all come down to the sun getting pretty much direct access to what's left of my little grey cells when I'm outside.

Jussto likes this.
  9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Also, very low humidity in most of the Mountain West, certainly much drier than most anywhere in the British Isles. I think humidity has an effect as well. I was out in Colorado last month and noticed a difference in the way things smoked.

Dondi likes this.
  10. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Just to throw another variable in which wouldn't have had any effect on El Guero's experience, altitude may have made a difference when you were in Colorado. Out here I'm more than 4000 feet above sea level and I notice a distinct difference in smoking some tobaccos here as against smoking them back east where it's only 550 feet ASL. Peterson's Summertime 2012 was pleasant here but nothing to get excited about. Back east at the lower altitude, similar relative humidity at the time, I went through a whole tin in a week.

Dondi likes this.
  11. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

Definetly the cool air. I've noticed that the cooler it is, the better the tobacco seems to smoke and the better it tastes. Another reason to hate summer!

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've noticed it but I've never figured out why it happens.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Tobacco to me tastes better outside in the fall and winter and less good in the spring and summer. Hotter weather seems to be anathema to pipe tobaccco.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  14. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

If I recall my thermodynamical shenanigans properly the hotter the air is, the more moisture it can hold. I'm sure that has an effect

Dondi likes this.
  15. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

The only outdoor smokes I get are while walking to the loca Irishl tavern. Now that you mention it, they do taste better. Thanks for pointing it out. Got to get more fresh air.

Old Codger and Albert like this.
  16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

GLP Meridian is a nice smoke indoors, but it's stellar outside, especially when it's very cold. It's my snow shoveling tobacco.

Old Codger likes this.
  17. browny

browny Member

I have no choice but to smoke outside. Good to read it's usually better to be had outside as a general consensus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.