Have you seen these?

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by Dimik, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I just came across these cob pipes. Has anyone tried them before? What do you think?
    http://www.olddominionpipe.com/#!NEW/c1tfn

BradNTX, piper965 and AlexanderM like this.
  2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

That's a new one for me. They look solid, but I'll stick to plastic stems for my clenching moments, which almost all of my cob smokes are.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  3. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Yeah that's my concern too. I clench my cobs.

4. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

They look interesting, but I don't see dimensions anywhere. How big is the bowl?

(edit) I found it -- the larger one has a 5/8-inch diameter bowl, and the smaller has a 9/16-inch diameter. Most MM cob pipes have a 3/4-inch bowl. The smaller MM pipes have a 0.61-inch bowl (approximately 5/8) so these cobs are small.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

No idea. Couldn't find them anywhere. Looking from the picture of the guy smoking it, it seems like an average size bowl.

6. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

They're a bit more expensive than MM cobs too.

7. esteban

esteban Active Member

IMHO round bits suck...but one could improvise a somewhat standard bit on the end.......

8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Think I'll stick with Missouri Meerschaum when I want to smoke a cob.

9. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Missouri Meerschaum remains my choice for a corn-cob pipe. I think I will sign off and go have a smoke.

10. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

Me too, and MM's are a much better value. These are very basic pipes (naked, and not finished in any way) for quite a bit more than a typical MM corn cob pipe ($8.95, and $15.95 respectively).

I honestly am not sure I really see the draw.

11. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

I think those look kinda cool. I prob won't be buying one, but I definitely see the appeal. Quite authentic looking. Thx dimik for posting.

BradNTX likes this.
  12. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

Interesting for sure but I'm not a fan of the round bit, I'll probably just stick with my MM for now. Thanks for the link.

13. ravkesef

ravkesef Member

I ordered two pipes from them and had them on my desk 48 hours later (the intervening day being January 1.). So that's good service in anybody's book. The pipes were as advertised in terms of size and workmanship. And here's the main point: they deliver a great smoke! I've tried them out with several varieties of tobacco and let me tell you--these pipes really deliver the goods. You won't be unhappy with the way they smoke--it's a short smoke, but a good one.
    I note that some people are having problems with the bamboo stems. Don't be afraid – try them out. I subconsciously found myself clenching from time to time, and as long as you're not using your incisors, the pipes work. And if you have to take your pipe out of your mouth from time to time and hold it in your hand, that's not so bad either.
    Taste, price and convenience all converge in this nifty little pipe. All in all, this is a pipe that I would highly recommend.

Dimik, BradNTX and Explorer352 like this.
  14. 7ach A

7ach A Member

I would buy one if I didn't have to pay shipping. Hopefully they will make it to the east coast pipe shows this year.

15. piper965

piper965 Member

I'm always down for a new cob! These look cool too. Thanks for the link. And the review. I think I'll order both pipes they offer and try them for myself.

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, those are pretty neat looking, and the company's story is interesting too.

17. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

There's no doubt they're a good smoke. They're cobs! Cobs are great smokers. I'm going to stick with MM's though. MM offers the same thing at a better value, and a much larger selection. Larger bowls too.

18. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

How short a smoke would you say? I'm moving very soon and it'll be a 10 minute walk for me from home to work and I'm looking for small bowl pipes that would last about that long. I have tiny bowled clays and briars, but even something like MM Pony is easily 30 minutes.

19. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

If you want a 10-minute pipe, fill your pipe and when you get to work -- stop smoking. Problem solved. :)

20. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

OR... only fill it part way. Pipes, like cups, don't have to be filled all the way.

BradNTX and Coastal Bend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.