Health and Pipe Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MakDragon, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

After reading some of the links throughout here and other sites, I thought maybe we could all pool our informational resources and create a topic dedicated to factual information on the possible benefits of pipe smoking and a way to negate the over abundance of negative and possible incorrect information on tobacco.
    For example, in this month's Cigar Afficianado, the editors comments deal with such. Just a thought here but it could be an invaluable resource for those fighting the anti-tobacco crowd. I am personally going to go back and look up all those references and try to post if the topic catches.
    Thoughts and links?

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Health issues are one thing, but please keep in mind that this is a pipe smoking forum, not a smokers rights forum.

3. r0n54

r0n54 Member

Great topic. With out looking up any empirical data at this point I think most of us know that there is a health risk involved smoking a pipe. That said, I also think that there are actual benefits involved as well. The relaxation and time taken to enjoy a smoke in todays fast and hectic lifestlyle world has a calming effect that helps put some balance in ones daily life. I think that the pause we take and contemplate while smoking even if not very deep soothes the soul and helps clear the mind so that lifes other activities become more palatable. These temporary diversions are generally time we take for ourselves that in many cases would not occur. A kind of recharge period if you will and if not done to excess, and most don't inhale, I think that the good involved is worth it. My 2 cents anyway......

4. Eddie

Eddie Member

The best way I have found to search for health risks is to search for nicotine wrt ??? (ie. nicotine and fracture recovery). This will rule out a lot of the reports that deal with inhalation diseases of the lung.

Bear in mind that it's the tar that is shown to be carcinogenic, so where ever that goes will increase the risk of cancer.

There was a twin study in Scandinavia that showed that a pipe smoker had a 2 year longer life expectancy than a non smoker (lip cancers don't generaly kill)

There are some interesting studies into the therapeutic effects of nicotine.

The drug affects the brain and cardiovascular systems, it has been shown to have benefits to sufferers of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. There was also something I read about benefits in some vascular operations. The delivery method was a nicotine patch.

Don't quote me on these, but use them as avenues of further research.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'm pretty sure this link doesn't have any
    political or rights issues. Been a while
    since I've read it. It's called "In Defense
    of Smokers" by Lauren A. Colby.

http://www.lcolby.com/

dp

If this seems biased in any way,
    please remove it with my humble
    apologies.

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Absolutely my intention. I appologize if it came across as something different! I am a science teacher and I love data to back up discussions such as these.

7. Eddie

Eddie Member

I've got to write a 1k word essay on smoking and the gaseous exchange and CV systems this week. His site will make interesting reference materiel. :thankyou:

8. Icepick

Icepick Member

Don't count me in that crowd.
    Because of the evidence against cigarettes the anti smoking community want to paint us all with a broad brush. I'm not buying it. My pipe smoking, chewing tobacco using grandfather (who never smoked cigarettes) lived to be 92 and lived a healthy, active life.
    I've never personally known a pipe smoker who was ONLY a pipe smoker who had any health problems directly related to the use of a pipe.
    :cheers:

9. woody

woody Admin Admin

No problem, just making it clear to everyone.

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

My great Uncle Hunk was a pipe smoker for 60 years. Got oral cancer then died 10-12 years later. Of old age. He was in his late 70's. That was 25 years ago. RIP Hunk...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.