1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearth and Home Bulk vs. Tin? +A few general Q's

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Aes28, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aes28

Aes28 Member

Sorry if this has been brought up many times in the past... I did a search but didn't find anything - could have been my parameters though. Anyways, I was wondering if there's much of a difference regarding buying the tinned version over the bulk version of these?

And since I wouldn't like to create two threads I might as well get to my next question but I'd like to preface it first: I've had a pipe for just under a year now and my exposure to tobacco has been extremely limited. (I'm frugal and that kind of lifestyle hurts hobbies, what can I say?) Tried G&H Rum Flake, not a fan. C&D Autumn Evening, liked this one more for it's room note but most of the time I'd not taste anything at all, just breathing in air, and I feel like that's not how this is supposed to work. Mostly I'd be left with a pipe that didn't smell like anything good and a bad aftertaste. With that said there were times where I would get the maple taste and it was cool but it was very very infrequent. Also tried Firedance Flake and that one was interesting but it felt more like tasting incense (which I'm pretty sure the Rum Flake tasted like too - I only smoked one bowl of this one before saying never again, so my memory is foggy) that's the Lakeland Essence, correct?

That said, I've got a huge list of tobaccos I'd like to try but are just too expensive for my tastes, especially with shipping added to the cost. I know, I know, it sounds like I'm bitching and it's probably because I am. : (

I'd like to know if there are any from this Hearth and Home selection that are similar to Scottish Cake (a tobacco I'd like to try from suggestions on this forum), or any of the Frog Mortons? On top of that I think I'd just like some suggestions from their best offerings for a newby.

2. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

I would try two different types, a FMOT and any of the non-blended VA's. BBF, FVF would be your best bet. Try both of those and you will see what your palet is into now. But expect that to change, as you will eventually try other things, this will give you a baseline to start. If your finding straight aromatics to be incense, then your not really tasting tobacco. I know there will be hate on this, but you should try tobacco that's not heavily cased. You're then finding out what kind of base tobaccos you like. Room note, well to be honest I care more about what I'm enjoying in my mouth and nose when smoking than what people are smelling. I have a Lampe Berger that wipes that out anyways.

3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Recently I called Pipes and Cigars, home of H&H tobaccos to ask a question about some of their tobacco I had already purchased. (OK. OK. It was in an effort to get ammunition for a -- um -- discussion I was having with the other half about my pipe tobacco.) Anyway, Russ, their house tobacconist answered the line. I told him I felt like I was talking with a celebrity. :) He was great to talk to about the tobacco. He answered my question and then asked me about what blends I liked. I mentioned a few, explaining I had started smoking when the English Tobacco Purity laws were still in place and developed a preference for a lot of English brands. Russ came back with a list of a handful of H&H blends, some of which I've tried and liked and some are still on my list. Given that background, guess this is my windy way of suggesting you might want to go to the source and call P&C and see if you can pose the question to Russ about the difference between their H&H bulk and tinned blends. (Everything I have ordered from them has been bulk, and very satisfying, but some blends that appear to be only available in tinned form are on my TAD list, maybe for the next order.)

4. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I have found no difference in the taste from bulk to tinned in the H&H lines sometimes the bulk is a little dryer than the tinned

5. blendtobac

blendtobac Member

There's no difference between our bulk and tinned tobaccos, although the tobacco ages differently in the tins, so there may be some difference in the flavor depending upon the amount of time it's been in the tin.

Russ

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Thanks for the input Russ!

7. Aes28

Aes28 Member

Thanks a ton. I decided to go with my first instincts back when I started last year which was to try out Frog Morton on the Town so when I placed my order last night I grabbed a 100g Tin of that. And then I threw an ounce of Anniversary Kake on the side. Shipping was 35% of the cost so that was a bummer but everyone has the same problem. I just need to buck up.

8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I'm with you. Shipping is a bane and for it to be 35% of the cost is terrible. There are different policies for shipping charges. Some etailers I've dealt with assess by weight and others by dollars spent -- for some reason charging more for shipping when one spends more for a purchase. For me, shipping cost was the first reason I have gravitated to Pipes and Cigars. (Guess you could say I came for the shipping and stayed for the great service and products -- and the free shipping.) When I hear of a blend that sounds interesting or start getting low on something I go to the P&C web page and add to my cart, it becomes my "wish list" and when it gets to the free shipping level I will hit the "send." (That's been happening about once a month since September.)

Anyway, it's just a thought, but WarGhSt you might consider letting an order build up and getting the free shipping. To me it is kind of like "free tobacco." :thu:

9. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

The thing I can't understand about H&H bulk vs tins is that the 8 oz tins are priced considerably less than the 8 oz bulk...not complaining by any means, just makes me wish tjey were all available in the tins

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Aside from the fact that Lane's made the bulk My Mixture 965 in the '90's instead of Dunhill, are they any bulk blends that differ from their tinned counterparts? I have not found any. I see this question posed from time to time about various blends and blending houses and it makes me wonder if they've experienced this kind of thing in the past?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.