1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearth and Home- grand slams?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sarge564, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I purchased H & H's GRANDMA'S KITCHEN- aromatic and AJ'S VA/PER. Just got around to trying them in the last couple weeks. Gma's kitchen was awesome! Smoke two bowls back to back and rarely, if ever, have I done that. Now smoked about half the tin and I'm sold! Not too wet, packs, lights and smokes very nice. Wonderful.

AJ's Va/per- very good! No Escudo or Limerick but will be close to pushing Limerick to the back of the shelf for me. Glad I got 2 tins so one can age a little. Need to order more.

So did H &H hit a grand slam with just these two blends and I got lucky getting the right ones?
    Or, have ya'll tried others that have leaned ya a little in their direction?
    If so, spout off a few blends. I'm going to make one order after christmas and need to know all I can.
  2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I like AJ's a lot. Louisiana Red is like AJ's but without the cavendish. It's a little tarter to me. Sunza Bitches is an interesting one. Tasty but it packs a punch. I like it in small bowls.

Larry's Blend for a Medium Latakia Blend. Very satisfying!
    DayBreak for a light Latakia Blend. I really like this one. Great for early mornings.

Anniversary Kake was a pretty hot item around here a year or so ago. It's a tasty crumble cake VaPer. Definitely worth trying!
  3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I love there Distinguished Penguin blend. I took some on vacation and it is the blend that finally won my father other to pipe smoking.
  4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Anni Kake is still one of my favorites and stays in my rotation. AJ's, Louisiana Red and Rolando's are all good too. I am slowly working my way thru the lineup and have not found a bad one yet. They all are not my favorites but the blends are all quality stuff.

Next up for me- Magnum Opus and Black House. Just got those in this week.
    Slow Tri likes this.
  5. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

Dec 14, 2012
    I know this thread is old, but had to bring it back from the dead.

I have now tried my third H&H blend, and love them all so far. Classic Burley Kake is a really nice end of day relaxing smoke, Anni kake is simply an amazing blend, and this morning I had a bowl of Distinguished Penguin (how can you not love that name?). It definitely reminds me of something I smoked in samples a couple months ago, but I can't remember if that is HOTW or Maltese Falcon. At least those are the two that came to mind, but I'm a newb and could be way out in left field. I have some ordering to do for the cellar and will be picking up various tends of Russ' blends to try here and there. 3 for 3; I have no fear ordering 8 oz + of anything Russ has done.
  6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I've tried quite a number of H&H blends and the only one I wasn't crazy about was Capitol Stairs. The flavor was okay for a while, but it burned too fast even when I hydrated it and at the end, it tastes like ashy cigarette. Old Red is okay, but I didn't think it was nearly as flavorful as other red Virginias I have smoked, and even when I dry it out, it burns too wet - and I'm a dry smoker. I thought it rather bland. Anni Kake, CBK, Louisiana Red, AJ's VaPer, Rolando's Own, Magnum Opus, Black House, Sweet and Savory, and most certainly Virginia Spice are among my very favorites. I also like Old Companion, Mohawk River (it's pretty sweet, so I space out my smokes with this one), Angler's Dream, LJ Heart Burley, LJ Heart Virginia, Butternut Burley, and Virginia Memory are all good, too.
  7. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

Jan 19, 2013
    A good part of my VA , VA/Pers rotation is H&H, I enjoy the anniversary, it’s a mix that surprises you with different flavors. I really think this one will blend very well with a year or more of ageing, and I’ll be seeing that. The VR, and VS are close, when I’m looking for a kick it up bowl without the vit N, the Spicy hits just right.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    Sierra Nevada is my personal favorite, but I enjoy a lot of Russ' blends.
  9. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Anni kake is the only H&H blend I've tried so far (having 16 more blends to try from them in my cellar)
    But dang anni kake is good!! Like really good.
    JimInks likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Glad you're enjoying it ! I haven't had to many I like yet . I'm a stick in the mud , I think . Every blender has his own way of making blends and the H&H stuff has been kinda weird to me , not bad , just different . However , Man O man ... do I love Old Companion !! Ya know how the newer Half & Half is pretty good these days ... well , take that x 5 and that's Old Companion . The topnote is stellar and not in your face .. it burns wonderful ...it tastes great ... I just love it . It's simple and perfect ! I've had mainly the H&H Burley type blends ... I'd like to try some of their aros
    JimInks likes this.
  11. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Sep 14, 2011
    I'll give you the amounts for my cellar for some of H & H's blends and you can decide if you think I like them:

Anniversary Kake - 6 lbs
    LA Red - 3 lbs
    Larry's Blend - 5 lbs
    AJ's VaPer - 4 lbs
    Rolando's Own - 2 lbs
    10 to Midnight - 2 lbs

A friend also just recommended their Sierra Nevada blend to me so I'll probably get hooked on that as well.
  12. lestrout

lestrout Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I love RussO's work. We are so blessed to have the foundation of Dunhill, Ashton, Peterson, SG, GH, JFG, KK and Orlik's being surmounted by what Russ is doing, along with Pease, C&D, McClelland, Park Lane and Hermit. LB is my Numero Uno and has been since I picked pipes up again several years ago. Even when I compare it to my hoarded Aperitif, Durbar and BS759, it still stays on top. That said, I've cellared pounds of Ambassador, Victorian Stroll, Magnum Opus, Ten to Midnight and Admiralty. Still making up my mind about Black House (though I prefer it to Blue Mountain) and Fusillier's Ration. Mustn't be hasty, ya know! I just discovered Virginia Night and that promptly got ordered for the Cellar, along with Marble Kake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.