Hearth and Home Louisianna Red

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat

Goat Active Member

I got some of this stuff a couple of weeks ago and just got around to popping the tin last night.

Here is the description on the side of the tin.

"A great sweet and spicy blend containing two different Red Virginias and a good amount of outstanding St. James Perique. The rich, round sweetness of the Virginias are complimented by the plum and pepper hints of the cool-burning Perique. An overwhelming favorite of our local pipe club members"

I like VaPers, probably one of my favorite types of blends, that's why I orderd this one. Now it says in there that there is a "good amount of outstanding St. James Perique" .... They aint kidding. I would almost go as far as saying that this is a Perique forward blend. Very spicy with some awesome perique flavors. The virginias blend well with it and smooth the whole thing out.

This right now might just become my favorite VaPer.

Anyone else try this one yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

JimInks likes this.
  2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I haven't tried it yet, but I will now!

3. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I've smoked quite a bit of Louisiana Red and absolutely love it. I thought it more plum than pepper-like, but of course, the pepper taste is there. I've had mixture where the perique is more dominant than it is here, but as Goat noted, it's obvious. Six months of ageing improves it, but I've also smoked it right out of the bag and/or tin, and it's ready to go, too. In fact, I'm near the end of an 8 oz. tin of Anniversary Kake and an 8 oz. tin of Louisiana Red is just waiting for me to finish the AK. The only complaint I have of either blend is that it's very moist in the tin and needs some drying out first. I hope P&C has a sale soon, so I can get more of both blends. Anyway, it's one of my favorite blends.

Goat likes this.
  4. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Jim, the 8oz tins are only $14.95 each right now ... they go on an even deeper sale than that?

Goat and JimInks like this.
  5. krusty

krusty Active Member

Now that you've had the Louisiana Red you need to try out the AJ's VaPer as well.
    I have both cellared and couldn't pick one over the other if forced!

Good stuff!

JimInks likes this.
  6. JimInks

I was waiting for another 10% sale or something close to it.

Krusty: I greatly enjoy AJ's VaPer, too. I'm ageing three tins of it now.

krusty likes this.
  7. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

I just tried Rolando's Own, and this is the one that is hitting the right notes for me. I have Anni Kake and AJ's, just have not tried Louisiana Red just yet, and AJ's seems better when combined 50/50 with McClelland 5100 Red Cake, IMO. I am just not getting into the Anni Kake, but that means one less competitor for JimInks when it comes time to buy!

8. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

Anni Kake didn't do it for me at first either. Put it in a mason jar and stash it away for 6 months, come back to it. A few months of aging does WONDERS for this blend! It's now my most cellared blend.

JimInks likes this.
  9. JimInks

PipeWife: take note of what WWhermit wrote! He speaks great truth! AK needs a little ageing time for the flavors to marry. The slightly sweet, tangy, wine taste is marvelous!

I think 6 months of age works great for Louisiana Red, too, but it's less necessary than it is for AK.

WWhermit likes this.
  10. JimInks

I just opened an 8 oz. tin of Louisiana Red that I bought in January. As I noted earlier, it's good when you get it, but the tobacco in this tin is even better than the younger tins and bulk I had previously bought and smoked this year. All this and my work done on time, too! Yeah, it's a good way to end my night/morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.