1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Hello all,

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dalton, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalton

Dalton New Member

Complete new guy here. I was just wondering what one of the best cheaper pipes i could buy are. I'm tired of my crappy $5 pipe and was hoping to get a new one with the help of you all.

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Hello Dalton and welcome to PSF from Monterey, CA.

The best "price point" you will find for a quality pipe is a used one...."an estate pipe."
    Estate pipes can be cleaned/sanitized to vex any demons. The "Big 3" for quality "moderately priced pipes" are Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell. All make good to excellent pipes. I rec you start cruising Ebay a little bit to familiarize yourself with those three makers, and the pipes they have produced. Between them, pretty much any pipe shape you can imagine is available. Once you find a shape you are interested in, or a particular pipe, "we" can guide you further. Naturally, buying estate pipes off Ebay comes with some risk. We can help avoid some of those as well.

3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Welcome Dalton! some folks swear by Dr Grabow pipes, which run 20-30 dollars on average. They are also made in America. I mostly have estate pipes, none are a major brand name but work for me. Proper drilling and fit/finish is crucial. And in case you want an EXCELLENT pipe, get a BST (sas) pipe!

Basil Meadows and Skrymr like this.
  4. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Dr. Grabow can be had for $25-$35 and are nice pipes. Cobs are great too, but only get Missouri Meerschaum. Not the chinese knock offs.

Basil Meadows and Tsal like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I suppose I've gotten my money's worth when I bought Dr. Grabows or Kaywoodies but I have never had good luck with them. IMO a used quality pipe is a better value.

6. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Also check out smokingpipes.com and vikingclubpipes.com estates, clean and ready to smoke.

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

You really cant beat a cob. Missouri Meershaum makes a great product and I would recommend supporting one of the members here - Aristocob.
    For the price they are a great smoke and as many members here will tell you, they have many in their rotation along side some expensive briars.
    I got caught up in all the excitement here when I joined as I was a novice newbie at best and truly didnt know how to properly enjoy a pipe. That has all changed since I have joined here thanks to the good people of this forum.
    The problem was I developed a case of PAD and TAD (Pipe Aquisition Disorder and Tobacco Aquisition Disorder) Now I have a large selection of pipes, some Brebias, Bongiglioli's, Northern Briar, Charatan, Antilok meer, a bunch of basket pipes, a Grabow and a host of cobs and of course Peterson's out the wazoo.
    Now that I have that under control, I am learning more and more about what makes a great pipe different from a good pipe and a bad pipe. I dont think I ever bought a "bad" pipe, but I am thinking now about upgrading my membership here and unloading many of my collection and investing it in pipes such as Sasquatch's and Tinskey's etc.
    Good luck! and remember it's the journey that's fun, not the destination!

RTOdhner and Spillproof like this.
  8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Spill and Mak speak much wisdom. I first started smoking pipes in 1979, and I've bought a ton of crappy pipes over the years. There are some good DrG's out there, but they're few and far between as far as I'm concerned; it's not that they're bad pipes, but they just aren't all that good either. I wish I had been far more critical about pipes early on, cuz I'd have saved a lot of money.

There are certainly some very good high-end pipes out there, but do a price check on a Dunhill and tell me it doesn't make you start coughing. As far as I'm concerned, Peterson, Stanwell, and Savinelli offer the best selections of "every man/every day" pipes. Brebia makes some very good pipes as well, but Peterson is still my favorite. Pete, Sav, Stan, and Brebia all make nice pipes that fall in the $80 to $120 range. They're damn good values, IMHO. Cobs, good old American-made MM cobs, are also a helluva value cuz for about $10 you get a great little smoker that will bring you tons of smoking enjoyment. Save your money and get a Pete, Sav, Brebia, or Stan. Or, go with a MM cob and save a whole lot of coin. No matter, really, cuz you'll be very happy with any one of these pipes for many years to come.

Hawkwood and MakDragon like this.
  9. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Hi and Welcome!!

10. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

If you don't like the idea of smoking a pipe that someone else has already smoked (I have no issues with it, but I had a prof in my undergrad who was disgusted by the thought), I wholeheartedly recommend the Duca Carlo or Morino lines of pipes by Savinelli. You can find them on smokingpipes.com for $46-54. I know that may seem like a lot compared to you $5 pipe, but the difference in quality is astounding.

And welcome to PSF from San Diego, CA!

Stonewall and Basil Meadows like this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Hello and welcome!

Lots of good advice here. I would take a moment to check out Tsuge pipes on SP.com they have several in the $50 to $60 range.

12. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Welcome to PSF from The Great State of Mississippi... I agree with some of above post... Buying estate pipes from ebay is a good start....

13. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Welcome to the forum! Can't beat a cob, they're inexpensive and smoke great.

14. Dalton

Dalton New Member

Thank you all for the ideas, I have been looking at all of the pipes that were suggested and I will probably end up going with an estate pipe from eBay. From what I understand the estate pipes need to be cleaned/sanitized properly. How is this done?

15. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I would skip the risk of Ebay and go for an estate pipe from smokingpipes.com, or vikingclubpipes.com. Ebay does have deals, but you have to be patient!

Dalton likes this.
  16. Dalton

Dalton New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, it is much appreciated and I will definitly look into it!

Vaquero likes this.
  17. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

18. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Dalton, I have several pipes that I could clean up for you.

Dalton and Raffxr7 like this.
  19. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Dalton, You will be amazed by the kindness of fellow pipe smokers on here. Brad is A-OK in my book just for his gesture of kindness to you. There are MANY others here who'd do the same thing. You found the best place on the internet!

20. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Not trying to toot my own horn, but we go to school together and when he found out I smoked pipes as well, he informed me he is trying to get into. So naturally I told him to go to where I got all of my knowledge from!

Dalton and Raffxr7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.