1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello and Dr. Grabow question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by wobarg, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wobarg

wobarg New Member

Hello,

I've been smoking for a couple months now, but with little ones in the house I've agreed to only do so on weekends and outside. For that reason I'd limited myself to one old smooth finish Dr. Grabow Omega that I'm happy with. Well, at least until today, when I found a Grabow Freehand 06 (whatever that number means). I've seen lots of pipes at antique malls herebouts but had never seen one with a flared out, flat bottom that sets nicely on a table without a holder. The look was so neat, for $8 I had to grab it.

It appeared nicely broken and pretty clean so, after a basic cleanup, it smoked really well until the last 1/3 of the bowl. At that point the pleasant smoke suddenly turned hotter and ashy-tasting in my mouth (the Omega never did this, even using the same tobacco). I'm still trying to figure out why that happened. [Now that I think of it, this pipe stayed lit easier, longer and smoked drier than the Omega does, so maybe the tobacco just turned to ash on me for the first time?]

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting: I'm curious about when Dr. Grabow made this Freehand because I've found ZERO info on this particular shape anywhere, including using Bing and Google. I'll post a pic if it helps, but I imagine the gentleman here who worked for the company probably already knows of it, as others might.

Thanks much in advance for any insights! You look like you have a wonderful board here. Thanks for your time,

Don

PS As stated above, this isn't a fishing expedition for ebay sale data. I really like this pipe, and the only way I'd part with it now is if it keeps up getting this charred flavor toward the end of the bowl. Any advice on that is most welcome, too.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Hopefully Ted will see this thread... he seems to know just a wee bit about this stuff.

As for smoking, it could be that the thing is just smoking right to the very bottom, and perhaps it isn't quite fully broken in either....

3. wobarg

wobarg New Member

It has about the dime's thickness of cake inside I've read as recommended, all the way to the bottom, so I assumed it was well broken in. But then I'm kinda new at this...:dunno:

4. ted

ted Member

Well hello wobarg. The 06 is the shape number. We called it a "Prince", most folks call it a "volcano". Sounds like this one may be erupting toward the bottom of the bowl. If it is shape stamped, and has a vulcanite bit (not abs plastic) I'll say 1978 till 1982.

I have a strange relationship with some lines of Grabow pipes. If I could hold it , could probably get closer. I seem to recognize slight variations in the manufacturing process. Gift or curse, not certain.

Think SAS got the taste thing about right. Some folks dab a little honey in the bottom. The pipe might have been sitting for years with dottle of stale worthless tobacco inside. You may have to grit your teeth and "smoke it out".

My pleasure... ted

5. wobarg

wobarg New Member

Thank you, Ted! Volcano is exactly the shape. I'll try a bit of honey and see what's what.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.