1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Hello / help

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by lostopossum, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

Hey guys/gals,

I've been reading the forum for sometime now and thought in would throw my hat in the ring. I've been smoking pipes for about six years now and I can say I'm hooked for life. I prefer Italian and heavy English blends with the occasional Virginia thrown in there. I live in the foot hills of the ozarks in north west Arkansas so you can add another hillbilly to the ranks. I however come to you guys today with a question, I have a castello Zulu that has started leaking the red stain out when it is smoked. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they were clueless. They offered to give me credit back on it but I love that pipe, plus it was a gift from my wife. I would really like to keep it but it's is almost bear of stain in two places, plus it stain my hands for days after I smoke it. Thanks in advance for the help and thanks for the great place to get together and talk about a great hobby. ( sorry for any misspellings or poor gamar my computer is in the shop and I typed this out on my phone)

~Chris

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

Welcome to PSF Chris! I wish I could help? I hope you get your answer, Beale.

3. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Welcome to the site! In terms of the stain, that's a first for me, but I'm rather new....if it were me, I might look into having the pipe re-finished, or maybe even sending off an email to Castello to have them refinish the pipe, if it's fairly new.

4. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Do you know if it was a used pipe ? All pipes should be stained with a Alcohol based stain. An Alcohol based stain will not bleed thru, to where the stain is leaking out. Sounds to me that is a used pipe and someone has put an oilbased stain on it. The 2 places where it has no stain is where it has been filled. I would definitley get a refund. Jeebs...

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is stain leaking and not tobacco oil? If it has a very small pit or hairline crack in the briar, it could be leaking oil from the tobacco. If its leaking tobacco oil, I would trade it back. If it is just stain, I would rub it down with a dry soft cloth real good, then maybe buff it with some carnuba wax. Worst case would be to strip it and restain it, but that would be strange to have to do for a Castello.

6. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

Thanks for the ideas so far guys, yes it is stain. I have the red left hand to prove it and the bare spots on the pipe also. I would post pics but again my computer is down.

7. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

O sorry, as to the other question, no it wasn't an estate I'm the first owner.

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I live in the foot hills of the ozarks in north west Arkansas

Did you get the pipe at The Tobacco Shop on Township?

9. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

Arkie, I sure did Tony, Cindy, and the rest of the crew there have been taking care of me for years.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Quoting this to make sure you read it again, lostopposum.

Briar is a natural product and flaws occur, but this is something I've never heard of happening with a Castello, a rather expensive marque.

If you do restain it or have it restained, take a look at the briar before you do. Castello chose the reddish stain, as they do with some of their pipes, to bring out the grain pattern in the block. You may decide on a more natural color. I did that with a Wiley pipe, however, and learned that Randy Wiley knew a hell of a lot more about grains and stains than I did. :D

11. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Welcome, Chris. I've been to the Ozarks, several times ... Fayetteville, Bentonville, Harrison, Branson & Springfield. Very beautiful place, and very much overlooked.

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Wow, possum, I've really never heard of this happening before. The fact that the stain is coming off does indicate a lack of sealer, so adding some carnuba wax to the pipe may prevent further damage, but won't do anything to correct the bald spots on your pipe. Question: do you drink any alcohol while smoking? Handling the pipe with hands damp with alcohol could have removed the original finish, and may prove to re-wet the underlying stain to the point of making it bleed like that. If not, I got nuthin'. :msty:

13. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

Pecci, yeah I live in fayetteville and have most of my life. I'm very fortunate to grow up in such a nice place.

HCraven, thanks for the tip I never considered the alcohol thing, I'll have to smoke with out my booze and see if that changes anything.

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Here's a possibility - if the pipe was stained and then either touched up or waxed proper, without a coating of shellac under the wax to kind of lock the stain on there, it will leach out a bit of color for awhile, and particularly, red dyes seem to bleed like this.

I think you should take a picture, contact Castello through their website, and see what they are willing to do. You could also have the pipe refinished quite safely by any number of pipe repair experts - explain what the problem is, and any of the reputable repair guys would be able to solve that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.