1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

help an indecisive newb! peterson choice

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Moonrover333, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Ok so ive narrowed down between the aran and Shannon 80s...i love the fire in the shannon but really like the band on the aran.... any reason to pick 1 over the other? Does 1 have a super thick laquer? Or should i abandon peyerson and go with a dith bent bully....most i can afford us 80bux. Also, plip? Yay or nay?

2. Goat

Goat Active Member

I love Peterson's, they are by far my favorite when it comes to briar, that being said, with any Pete you can't go wrong. The Aran's are very nice but having the silver band will require a little more maintence on your part to keep it looking nice, it'll tarnish and will need to be buffed from time to time, it's no big deal but if you don't want to do that I you say go with the Shannon. I love those Shannons, don't have one yet but there is one on my PAD list, just wish they made it in a poker or tankard.

Anyways, either way you can't go wrong. Buy the one that looks the nicest. If your getting it from a B&M hold one in each hand and compare how they feel and stuff. Your got two great shoices there, either way your going to love them.

As for the P Lip, for me, I prefer the fish tail over the P-lip.... but that's just personal preference. Peterson has been doing that P-lip for over a century so obviously it works well and people like it.

3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I really like the p-lip but only on bent pipes. It is a great clencher but I think that advantage may be lost in a straight pipe. Another advantage to Peterson's is that if there is something real wrong with it, they have a good rep for making good on bad pipes that slip through. For us who are not wealthy Peterson makes some very good medium priced pipes.

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I say Aran. Personal aesthetic choice. I have a ton of Petes on my PAD list. Decently priced and damn good-looking, the bunch of them.

5. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

On a personal preferance note-----ANY Peterson with a Fish Tail bit/button. I tend to stay away from the heavy laquerd ones a I have always been afraid to heat them up, and worried the finish will bubble. I respect, and keep after my pipes, but smoke them hard--briar, or not---many bowls a day sometimes. I recently picked up a 211 Irish Sea---I ain't showed it any mercy in two weeks----finish is just fine. It is my new work pipe, and many might say---are you nuts. I have many other higher grade pipes that are super, but the mid range Petersons are now my go to work pipes. Had cobs etc., but prefer briar. I admitt that I have had many Petersons that were hit, and miss. For the money a Peterson is a good pipe at a good price. I have had folks tell me--rest those briar Petersons, give them a chance to dry out. I have pushed several hard at work---NEVER an issue even after getting them too hot, wet, dottle. I tap them out in my hand, put them aside for a brief rest, and reload. GRANTED---it goes against what many would recommend---I do respect my pipes--but after all I gottem to smoke. Peterson pipes-----good pipes at a fair market price for their mid range stuff-----you can't go wrong.

snowman likes this.
  6. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

A bit off topic how are new bjarne viking pipes?

7. Iain

Iain Active Member

Aran or Shannon...tough choice...good luck! :ohyh:

8. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I have both a Shannon and an Aran, and I smoke the Shannon more. Less maintenance because you don't have a band to clean, and I just like how smooth it looks without the silver/nickel band. Also, the Shannon is a very nice finish, almost a walnut color compared to the Aran.

Either way, they are great pipes and you can't go wrong with a Pete.

9. conroygc

conroygc Member

I, for one, really like the p lip. I think it's great keeping the smoke off your tongue.

MacNutz likes this.
  10. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

I have a new Bjarne Viking Classic Full bent that I picked up a few months ago. Impulse buy, and by far and away the worst smoker in my stable. My 20 dollar Dr. Grabows beat the tar out of that thing. It gurgles like you would not believe. I have other full bents and I've never had this problem with them. it also has a really pathetic draw. Not just tight, but.. I dunno how to describe it. What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't smoke all that good, and certainly wasn't worth 75.

My Pete Aran on the other hand is pretty much synonymous with amazing smoke.

YMMV. I may have just got a bad Bjarne. Who knows? Maybe someone else has had better experiences.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I have an Aran, but not a Shannon. The Aran is an XL02, which is a big Author-style pipe. Great smoker, fits my hand quite nicely, and is very attractive. The silver band is an attractive bit of bling. The Shannon, on the other hand, has a very elegant appearance with no bling. The XL02 is my favorite Pete shape, and I'd jump on a Shannon XL02 in a heartbeat.

SouthBound likes this.
  12. muddler

muddler Active Member

In my experience, the best you can do is go for a Pete 303 System. It's an iconic shape & a great smoker. A favourite of mine.

Monkeyshine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.