1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Help identify "R" pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jive Dadson, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

I recently acquired a dozen "estate" pipes off of ebay. One of them has an insignia on it that I wonder if anyone can identify. The logo is quite small. The left part of it is a line drawing of a bent pipe. The stem of the pipe in the drawing is on the right, and forms the backbone of a script letter "R". I will try to make a picture of it.

By the way, the pipe is by far the most cake-incrusted I have seen, either in person or on the web. The bowl is closed down to few millimeters, and just below that the opening is pipe-cleaner size. And I think the thing has a Meerschaum lining! For sure I need pictures before I attempt to salvage it, if I do.

2. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

3. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

:beyes:

Lestrade likes this.
  5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

That's some serious cake!

6. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Active Member

Serious cake indeed. I bought a Stanwell 45 pot that was caked the same and that pipe turned into this:
    [​IMG]

After a good cleaning it became one of my best smokers and earned a spot on the keeper rack. When it comes to estates with that much cake I always figured nobody would smoke a pipe that much if it weren't a good smoker.

Jive Dadson and dwaugh like this.
  7. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

That almost looks like pipe mud... I've never seen cake booming out of the pipe and onto the rim. Wow.

Elwin likes this.
  8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I thought it looked like a meer insert.

IrishRover likes this.
  9. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Turns out, it wasn't that. It is all briar. There was a ring of ragged carving around the top of the rim. It was supposed to be decorative. That depression had filled with gunk I guess, and whatever happened to the cake got after it too. Mold ate it maybe? I just cut all that off by beveling the rim of the bowl inward. Yeah, I could not help myself. Had to rescue it. I also stripped off the finish and re-stained it. I am smoking the thing right now. I will post pictures later.

10. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

There was a decorative depression in the top that had filled with gunk. It's gone now. See above.

11. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Member

Kiowapipe and Jive Dadson like this.
  12. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Winner, winner, chicken for dinner!

[​IMG]

13. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

When I read that the first time, in my mind I said, "Ffuh!" But after smoking a few bowls in the cleaned up "S&R," I must say it smokes better than any other bent pipe I have ever fired up. Totally cool and dry. A pipe cleaner passes straight through from stem to chamber. I have been on the current bowl of tobak for an hour and 5 minutes, no re-lights, and it looks to be good for another 15 or twenty.

Below is a picture that the seller provided. He conveniently did not show the scene of the crime. That was pretty much the case with all 12, but all of them appear to be salvageable. I have done 6 so far.
    The main thing is that the original owner was not a stem-biter. And he bought pipes that were good value for money. That's a bonus main thing. Why was he so lazy about cleaning them? Things that make you go WTH.

The pipe looks much better now than in the flattering picture even. I completely reworked the top of the bowl, giving it a slope into the chamber. I sanded it with Micro Mesh, re-stained, and applied wax. Cleaned stem, but it still needs work. Have ordered stem-cleaner paste. I will post photos later.

[​IMG]

14. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Work in progress

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hawkwood likes this.
  15. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Bleach is your friend.

IrishRover and Rewster66 like this.
  16. Capt

Capt Active Member

Looking much better!

17. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

The guy I ordered the paste from says bleach is your enemy. But then, he does not sell bleach. Actually, I tried some bleach, then a lot of polishing with two kinds of polishing stuff. And wax. I am not getting anywhere with any of that.

Edit. Well I'll bet the bleach killed whatever that white stuff was, at least.

18. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

LOL

I'm sure the paste will work. Otherwise you'd have to sand it off and then polish and buff.

19. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Active Member

Looking good so far, nice work on the rim bevel. Can't wait to see it when it's done. That looks like a nice rugged pipe. I'm glad it is turning out to be a great smoker too.

20. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

50/50 bleach and water and a good soak (followed by fine wet sanding and polishing) have worked wonders for me and lots of other folks on here. 'Course, there's more than one way to skin a cat and everybody's got their own way of doing things.

IrishRover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.