1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Help Identifying Estate Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dottle_Dan, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

Hey guys,

I just picked up this small old pipe at an antique shop. The finish on the case is gone, but otherwise pretty good shape. It looks like the stem is made of amber with a sterling band. The pipe is stamped A A S in side a diamond. The inside of the case looks like it says Warranted French Briar? Is anyone familiar with these?[​IMG]

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Not familiar with them, but sure looks like a good find.

3. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

That looks like an amber stem. Be really careful. They're super fragile. Or I could be wrong. That also looks like a sterling band, look for hallmarks.:D

4. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

Thanks, I checked the band and it says sterling _35 i'm guesing 325 and then something I can't read. I'll have to take a photo of it with my macro lens. Almost looks like Lauo or Louc something like that. I think that you might be right about the stem being amber. It has a lot of little cracks inside it. I haven't seen that with lucite, acryllic etc.

5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

If it has little cracks, it's probably amber. If it says Sterling, it's at least 925. You say Sterling if it's below 925. It looks like you made a nice score there. Congratulations! Hopefully someone who knows a lot about these old pipes, like my DH or T-Bear will come along and be of more help.:D

6. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Wow! Sweet pipe! I have a WDC just like it with a Bakelite stem. If the are micro fractures in the stem, that is amber all right. You can rub it out lightly with stem polish. But don't put any stress on the bend. and don't ever drop it! It can snap easily. I have several gut wrenching experiences with this. But I smoke my pipes with stems like that. It can be managed. Is the stem opening a round hole or football shaped? By the bit shape, Im guessing football. That is early! Like 1900ish. I don't know what AAS is. My belief is that many of these pipes were imported and stamped by American companies. I think the "Warranted French Briar" logo places it for sure before the French lost Algeria (my theory anyway).

I'm feeling a little envy!

7. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Very sweeeeeet little pipe, congrats

8. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

Thanks for the info Xrundog! Yes the hole is closer to football shaped than being round. Do you think this pipe is made by WDC?

9. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

No. I think it's French made, shipped to and stamped by a manufacturer or distributor. That's my best guess on the very little actual information I have.

10. Roger W

Roger W Member

Looks great - that's a great find!

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

12. Terry292

Terry292 Member

What are the letters, or whatever, just below the band, in the square? They might be give some indication of maker. At one time, the William DeMuth Company was the largest importer of pipes and accessories in the United States. It certainly has the look of the late 19th - early 20th Century.

13. krusty

krusty Active Member

That is a very nice find DD. VERY NICE!

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Late to the party, but I think Xrundog has it pretty well covered. I would guess early 20th C...no later than the early 1940s.

Great looking pipe! Congrats......

15. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

The writing in the Sqare (diamond) is :
    A
    A S

16. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I think I have seen this logo on another pipe on here that couldn't be identified. I know that doesn't help.

17. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Sorry, that maker is by me, too.

18. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

1858remington likes this.
  19. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

From your pic, the case is very similar. Your pipe shape is similar also. I will take more pics of the markings when I can. I cleaned up the pipe a bit and it looks great!

20. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Arthur Anderson & Sons? Plausible says I!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.