1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me fill the void

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Nightcap, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Basically that's right. If things go way out and never come back, or get less and less helpful to the original poster, we try to clean them up. And probably no-one on this forum has had more posts sent to the scrapyard than me in that regard. Guilty as charged, but I also feel that the original question was answered pretty well. The PW blend mentioned is very heavy on latakia and perique, and while probably missing some of the Cavendish notes, it's a good replacement. Is it the same as the Dunhills? No.

If you like the spicey tangy bits in 965, then head for an oriental blend like McConnel's Oriental or Rattray's Red Rapparee. If you want the latakia/perique end, then the PW 400 or the Nightcap standin (20-11 or something) from Park Lane are worth trying. But that's all they are - worth trying. 965 and Nightcap come only in bags and tins marked "965" and "Nightcap", unfortunately.

2. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

Well, I just learned something...I didn't know that 400 had perique in it. Interesting.

I do have the remake of 965, and think I may have sent some to jpberg to get his take on it. Compared to Black Mallory, Red Rapparee, 400, Penzance, Odyssey, Old Dog and a bunch of others (basically anything in Jon's cellar), the (new) 965 isn't anything special, in my opinion. Not bad, but not outrageously good. I like it, but I like some others more. Insert "different strokes" comment here.

I wish I had a reference point for some of these highly sought after 'old' blends.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I agree - was never too interested in any of the Dunhills and don't miss em, with the exception of Elizabethan, but there's no end of good va/pers out there to assuage that grief too.

ATXPipe likes this.
  4. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I'm glad y'all are saying all this about the new Dunhill stuff, I have a tin of EMP that I absolutely cannot get into. I'm setting it back for a year or two to see what happens, but no matter what I smoke it in or how I regulate my puffing cadence, I can't get anything but *yawn* from it. I was thinking it's my palate but I'm beginning to sense that, much like a zombie, some things just aren't right when you try to resurrect them.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Charles Nelson Reilly. Best avatar on the site!

6. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

Haha Yes! I use to say how he was funny and weird. She used to say he's not playing with a full deck. Or that guy is a loon. I had his name on the tip of my tongue. Glad you reminded me of it!

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'll tell you something else interesting about the 400. A year in a jar seems to tame alot of the flavors, but not the perique. It jumps out and put a boot in your nollys. Very strange, but interesting aging going on there.

As to your last sentence - that is indeed the sticky point for most people, WHETHER OR NOT they have ever had the "original" of a given blend. Whether it be Dunhill, BS, or old Ashton or Sullivan blends, I really don't remember what they taste like. So, just go to the 'bay and buy and old tin, right? Hell no, a tin of Murrays Nightcap is going to be a radically different creature than the one I bought in 1987, sitting around for 20 some years will do that to you.

When you buy a tin of tobacco and really enjoy it you have reached the zenith of the pipesmoking experience, that's all there is to it. I'm as guilty as anyone of getting on the "way back" machine and grousing about how this or that has changed, and how I wish I could still buy "x" brand tobacco, but really, I'm just over complicating a pretty simple thing.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's only a void if you perceive it to be. Only one piper has your tongue. Enjoy or cherish the old leaf you have and move on.

I prefer the new Flake hands down over the older Light Flake and several on TR agree as well. Go forward!

Ed
    Puff

9. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

Im sure its the same as old girlfriend sex being better than new girlfriend sex. You're not getting anymore of it, but you can still remember what it smelled like..... as I segue into McClellands Blue Mountain. I received my can, and it sure did smell wonderful. I opened the Cup O Joes mailer and ripped the top off, took a deep sniff, and couldn't wait to get home. It will will the void for sure. I smoked two large bowls this afternoon. Im off to some well deserved sleep for now, and will have a few more bowls in the morning. My wife smelled it also, and went, Oh ya, that roast pork smell... I find her descriptions so off the wall, but mildly plausible. I think that might make a good topic. "Honey, Smell This....." and post your wifes description.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.