1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Me Identify A New-To-Me Meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by raf66, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raf66

raf66 Member

Hi all. Yesterday I purchased from an elderly man a meerschaum pipe that he said he brought back with him from Turkey upon his return from the service in 1954. It is clearly unsmoked and it is simply stunning. The case is clearly one that was specifically made for the pipe and it appears rather dated as well, though it has no identifying markings in it. The pipe itself is stamped "Made in Turkey" on one side of the stem, and "Osman" on the other side. The stem has what I think is commonly referred to as a metal "stinger" on the part that screws into the shank. This piece is not completely hollow but has a slight opening on the side of it that allows for the draw.

Do any of you have any information about this brand of meer? I'm new to the meer world and am just starting to collect/smoke them so this is all new to me.

Thanks for the info.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome,

Nothing is immediately springing to mind here; could you post a picture which might help us?

What do you think of the pipe as a pipe to smoke, is it good? Has it coloured well? Anything you could add might help,

Best meantime

Gerry

3. raf66

raf66 Member

I will post pics later this evening.

4. raf66

raf66 Member

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry. My camera won't take a pic of the "Osman" or "Made in Turkey" insignia on the stem.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

It's a rather nice looking Rhodesian and seems free from defects. The case is a pretty standard issue Turkish hard case made to fit the pipe.

At the time you think it was bought Turkey would still have been exporting block meer for finishing in other countries as well as producing pipes themselves. Some of the pipes produced then (and now) were little more than toys aimed at the tourist market, whereas yours looks like a pretty good artisan/small batch produced piece, well finished.

As "Levant" is an exporter's mark today for pipes not put out under the carvers' names I wonder if something similar applies to the name on your pipe.

There are people with a lot more knowledge of meers than me on this forum - so hopefully one will be able to give more info,

Gerry

6. raf66

raf66 Member

Thanks Gerry. I'm itchin' to smoke it. I'm wondering how hard it is to remove that stinger.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

I don't think I'd try to remove it - though I'm happy enough to perform fairly brutal surgery on briars, meer is more delicate and I tend to leave well alone. I'd see how it smokes then if you felt you wanted it out I'd still say contact a good tobacconist/pipe dealer first before resorting to the pliers and the "big hammer!"

Happy smoking

Gerry

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I'm with Gerry about trying it out for a while as is before messing with the stinger. If it's a drooly gurgler after a a couple of dozen smokes revisit consideration of a stinger-ectomy with Dremel tool and cutting wheel.

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Damn nice looking pipe!
    Like the other guy's said Smoke first...and if needed surgery later.

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Seems to me that the stinger is part of the tenon that screws into the shank... if you took that out, how would you connect the stem to the stummel?

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I could be wrong but I ass-umed they were talking about hacking that ball on the end off. :startle:

12. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Sure looks a lot like a Kaywoodie don't it?

Dondi you cut off from the threads forward leaving them intact thus the pipe still screws together.

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

oh i see, hacking them balls off.... say whaaat!? [​IMG]

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

You can always trust my friend Dondi to be on the ball!

Best to all

Gerry

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

if I may be allowed an OT post... I couldn't help but think of this sign when Ball Removal is being discussed...

[attachment=613:balls.jpg]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Lets not carry the ball to far here guys......:)

17. raf66

raf66 Member

Yeah, I think I'll smoke it first before doing anything rash with the stinger. Thanks again for the guidance fellas. I'll keep you posted on how it smokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.