Help me snork

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by JoeSmall, Jul 19, 2013.

1. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

So apparently there's some magical tongue move that makes smoke come out your nose while pipe smoking and it's not inhaling. I've read through the "taste its all in the snork" thread and I don't seem to be able to do it (unless I inhale). So how would the keepers of the vault of all pipe smoking knowledge (aged flatulence) explain it to me in a way that I get it? It sounds like an interesting idea but the mechanics of it seem to confound me.
  2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

It took me long time to figure out how to do it and I was a cig smoker. The best why I can explain it take a sip of some kind of liquid and tilt your head back. Note, what muscles you would have to relax to just let the liquid down your throat. Don't choke while doing this :). These are the muscles you have to relax to get the smoke into the nasal passages.
    JRobert, TheModernGent and JoeSmall like this.
  3. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

I don't know of any special tongue trick (although I may do it subconsciously) but all I do is take a sip off the pipe and then just exhale from my nose and it does the trick. Maybe try flattening your tongue against the roof of your mouth, towards the front. That should push the smoke towards the back.

Best bit of advice I can give is, as with most things in life, don't over think it and you'll be fine :D
    Nico, Lukasaurus, Coda and 1 other person like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Active Member

You have to use your tongue to push the smoke towards your throat, then you just exhale through your nose...thats how I do it.
    JoeSmall likes this.
  5. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

It just kinda came naturally to me years ago. Of course I have been smoking substances for ages. Wish I could tell ya a trick but I don't know any. I'm snorking for ya now if that makes you feel any better?
    JoeSmall likes this.
  6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

I find that if I keep my mouth shut and nose exhale it just happens automatically, I think it has a lot to do with relaxation of the muscles, and as I smoke a pipe primarily to relax, this comes with be territory :)
    dmkerr, User4408, Tate and 2 others like this.
  7. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Although if I do it too much I find it stings like a you know what!
    TheModernGent and JoeSmall like this.
  8. BradNTX

BradNTX Hamborger Veermaster Hog

Pull smoke into your mouth, then lift your tongue toward the roof of your mouth while exhaling through your nose. Start with a gentle blend...
    JoeSmall likes this.
  9. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

Yea found that out the hard way with SG 1792...
    JoeSmall likes this.
  10. Tate

Tate Member

This is right. To learn to snork with your tongue you must first learn how it feels to transfer air between the mouth and nasal passages.

Take a mouth full of smoke, close your lips, begin exhaling through your nose. There will be smoke that comes out as the air in your mouth mixes with air coming from your lungs and then exits your nose. As you get a feel for this you'll be able to stop closing your lips all the way and use your tongue to direct the air flow as it were. Take a bit of feeling out.
  11. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Tate pretty well explains it. I just kinda came by it naturally. I find I snork pretty much every puff. Hold it in the mouth a moment, then breath out of the nose. Very pleasant, I think.
    JoeSmall likes this.
  12. Jim44

Jim44 Member

Seems to me like a sort of a half-inhale----just as far your throat, rather than to your lungs----and then exhale through your nose.
    JoeSmall likes this.
  13. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

I inhale.. but that is due to the fact that i was a very heavy smoker at one stage.. three packs of thirty a day.. now, i happily have no smokes in my pocket.. but i do inhale allot of the smoke that my pipe emits.. needless to say that snorking came real easily..
    MacNutz and JoeSmall like this.
  14. Griz

Griz Lets make it funky y'all!

It took me about a bowl fulls smoking to figure it out. For me, as a person who had never smoked before, it took a bit of over coming some initial fears of choking half to death ( well founded it turns out .. I had a gasper during the attempts ). For me, it feels like drinking through a straw. I liken it to sucking in a soda but not swallowing it, your body naturally helps you out in this I found. Then I just exhale through my nose. Oddly enough I can't seem to exhale all the smoke through my nose so I have to save some air for a mouth exhale :) Probably still the newb in me causing it.
    mecompco and JoeSmall like this.
  15. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Somehow, helping another man snork sounds...weird. Especially when people start talking about special moves with the tongue. Having started smoking with ryo PA and ultra dry Durham in a cloth bag, at 15, I thought men were born knowing how. One of the advantages of being raised in the company of old godgers who smelled of tobacco and paid for lawn cutting duties with tobacco and rolling papers, as long as I didn't tell my mom where I got it. She blamed it on my grand dad who didn't care what women complained about no how.
    MikeInMaine and JoeSmall like this.
  16. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

PA is the easiest one to snork so far, don't know if there's something different about the smoke or because I was outside but inside I was useless as tits on a boar trying to snork Penzance and pirate kake inside.
    mecompco, Tsalagi44 and MikeInMaine like this.
  17. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Must be something you get used to--I haven't found anything that is unpleasant to snork. Snorking OJK right now as a matter of fact (and getting a little bit of rush, but it's all good).
    JoeSmall likes this.