1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Help packing/tamping my new Caminetto?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Spillproof, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I picked up a Caminetto calabash a couple of weeks ago that I am currently breaking in (18L-17mm, rusticated, oxbow ferrule).

It's a very nice pipe, bought from a reputable dealer, and has no mechanical issues. However, due to my greedy greedy puffing technique, coupled with the complications of learning a new pipe, I am having a hard time getting an even burn to the bottom of the bowl. I have only put Dunhill Virginia flake in this pipe so far, and as I intend to use it for Va's, that's all it will ever see. Also, I have not packed the bowl completely full, yet.

The problem is that despite breaking down the baccy and rubbing it out just as I would for my other designated Va-pipe (a Wiley, at the moment), the bottom of the bowl just isn't burning correctly or thoroughly. I have untouched baccy at the very bottom of the bowl about half the time, and a relight becomes problematic. Is this bad baccy prep, greedy puffing, bad packing, bad tamping, or all of the above (dammit!)?

So, I realize I need to slow down and learn to pack THIS bowl correctly. Any suggestions?

PS. I haven't had these issues with a new pipe in a while, and am second-guessing myself.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Are you talkin a Meer/gourd Calabash or a Calabash shape in briar ?

3. Spillproof

Sorry, the calabash-shaped briar sticking out of my mouth in the pic to the left.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

LOL .... thats a pretty deep bowl . Maybe a relight [ even if ya dont need it so much ] half way down might help . Also , try rubbing it more or less and see how it goes .Thats a nice pipe !

Spillproof likes this.
  5. Spillproof

I will try the re-light half-way idea, and will keep messing with the rub... right NOW. Thanks.

6. EJCPhilo

EJCPhilo Member

Often on my deeper bowls, the saliva collects and the tobacco becomes too wet to keep lit. If this is the issue, I recommend letting it sit for a few hours and then coming back to it.

Spillproof likes this.
  7. Spillproof

Stop spitting into my pipe; check.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Are you sure the 'draw' hole is not too high, and the heel has a good profile?

shadow likes this.
  9. Spillproof

Well, the pipe was sold to me by a friend at a local pipe shop as a particularly well-made Caminetto (sitting in the bragging case next to $1500 pipes). He definitely knows pipes and pipe-makers better than I do (i mean, Jess Chonowitsch has HIS number, not mine). It passes my visual inspection. But to answer your question more specifically; no.

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    Next time you fill your pipe just fill it half way and see how it goes.
    This should also help building a cake at the bottom of the bowl which will help absorbing any moisture during smoking.
    I'm not usually a fan of half bowls for breaking in a new pipe but in this case it might solve your problem.:bing:

Spillproof likes this.
  11. Spillproof

Thanks for the suggestions. Agreed that cake will help!

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Are you able to pass a pipe cleaner to the bowl during a smoke? This may help until you get some heel cake going.

13. Spillproof

Yes, I can pass a long-cleaner into the bowl during a smoke, and have been doing so a couple of times a bowl. Looking forward to it being well seasoned because by then I will have figured this thing out!

cobbsmoker likes this.
  14. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It will work itself out in time, endeavor to persevere! ;)

Spillproof likes this.
  15. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

just an added note, when you load the pipe sprinkle the tabac in slowly...letting it build toward the top before the initial packing sequence.

16. Spillproof

Will give that a go tomorrow, it's resting for the rest of the day.

17. Spillproof

Update:
    Had my best bowl out of the Cam just now. Flake again (of course), rubbed out more than usual, lots of tamping, one minor flame about half way through (as rec'd), and a clean burn all the way to the deep, deep bottom.
    I just might get the hang of this thing yet.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  18. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

My two Cams are drilled just right, so I wouldn't
    think it's a drilling issue. To help build some cake
    at the bottom, lick your finger and wet the bottom
    of the bowl before you load it. Now, let the 'wet-
    willy' comments commence.

Spillproof likes this.
  19. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

If it's a conical bowl, you might want to try the cannonball packing method.

Roll the tobacco into a ball and plop it in the bowl, leaving some space under it. Works really well for conical bowls. Allows the tobacco to expand underneath the baccy-ball as it burns.

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.