1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!! Sending tabacco from USA to Australia

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by smokingskippy, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokingskippy

smokingskippy Member

Hey all I'm in need of help from another pipe smoker here in australia
    I'm looking at doing a order fom smokingpipes.com
    And I'd like to know how many 50gm Tim's I can get sent here with out getting hit with tax??
    If you know and can help plz let me know

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

There's just no way to guarantee you won't be hit with tax. Any amount is taxable when importing. It's up to the discretion of the customs officer as to whether they can be bothered charging you if your package gets discovered. Thing is; I've observed that ordering 4 or less tins is a much safer route than ordering a lot at a time. Order a lot and you are more likely to get charged duty, and I haven't figured out why. Perhaps if it is a small amount, the officer is more likely to look the other way, but when you get too cheeky the duty will be served.

Also, the duty for 4 tins is way lower than the duty for ten. Safer on you wallet that way too.

IrishRover likes this.
  3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+1 on what Mike said....

4. smokingskippy

smokingskippy Member

Yeah I think 4 tins is a good small number
    Thanks mike for that
    I'm looking at getting a new pipe and a petersons ashtray and one or two other things

5. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

Of the 20 or so orders from smoking pipes . com over the last 12 months, 3 have been inspected by customs. Each was 200g and I didn't have to pay tax, they just put a note in saying "your package has been inspected, it's all good etc."

You can bring 250g tobacco in to Aus tax free if you bring it personally from a holiday or whatever. I think it's maybe the benchmark they go by, however officially any tobacco posted in gets a $430 +10% GST per kg, tax on it. That number is probably higher now, I called customs early last year.

At the end of the day, we are getting robbed blind with these taxes, at more than $50 a tin retail for petersons, even if you get pinched with tax once or twice, you're still ahead, even when you factor in postage.

200g per order is my limit.

Mike Pomery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.