Help with a new meer

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Morse, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morse

Morse Active Member

I recently picked up an unsmoked "estate" meerschaum from SP.com - one of the no-name ones they had a couple of weeks ago. The issue is that it seems to smoke hot - hotter than my briars do given the same tobacco.

Now the walls of the bowl seem quite thin about 1/8" at the top, and that may be part of the issue. But it got me to thinking, do meers burn hotter as a matter of course or is this a case of you get what you pay for (ie get an IMP next time). Now granted I am pretty new at this, but assuming that my technique is the same, my briars seem to burn cooler.

Any thoughts or advice?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I think you have nearly answered your own question - "the walls of the bowl seem quite thin", the pipe will smoke hot - in similar fashion to a clay!, and yes - like most things, you do get 'what you pay for', a quality meer, well engineered, and with plenty of 'meat' in the right places, will give (IMO) an unsurpassed smoking experience, both for coolness and flavor.
    OT

Mark w4mms and Tanman like this.
  3. Morse

Morse Active Member

Thanks - lesson learned :)

4. Morse

Morse Active Member

The only meerschaum brand I am aware of is IMP - are there others to recommend?

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

SMS and Altinok are two others out there.

6. Morse

Morse Active Member

Thanks - just checked out their websites. Wow, very nice!

7. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Another brand to look out for if you're looking into estate meers is CAO. I have several of them, and all have been good quality smokers, and well made. You can occasionally find some CAO's for sale that are NOS as well.

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

While my favorite dealer is Sinan Altinok, I would also highly recommend Deniz Ural at Bestmeerschaums. Both of these gents are stand-up dealers with a well made product.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Of all the meerschaum brands out there, there exist but three of which I have almost never heard of having any problems (and I'm highly suspicious of the very few issues I've heard of with these 3 makes): Baki, available from Deniz Ural at www.bestmeerschaums.homestead.com, Altinoks from www.altinokpipes.com and IMP's which are available from www.smokingpipes.com.

Now, I own meers from several other companies and if one knows what to look for, one can find something equally fantastic. But these 3 will never let you down, no matter your level of experience looking at and smoking meerschaum. Buy from these 3 makes, and you'll be a happy camper for sure.

qwik and Mark w4mms like this.
  10. Morse

Morse Active Member

Thanks for the excellent suggestions folks!

11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I made a similar discovery the first few times a smoked one particular meerschaum I bought early in this game.
    In my own defence,I couldn't tell how thin the walls of the bowl were when I looked at the picture. I can't smoke it because it gets too hot to hold. You're not the only guy to buy a pipe that smokes hot. You're much smarter now.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

12. Morse

Morse Active Member

Yes I am!

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ya done good by IMP! So your bowls a bit thin and she smokes hotter than your briars. Woof! I look at meers as a different form of a clay or vice versa. They do smoke hotter but then again so do thin walled anything! Get a nice sized or even large/x-large meer and you'll be on a different planet! Ya done real good with an IMP as your first meer! Congrats!

I have meers by many makers or distributors. SMS, CAO, IMP, Sadik Yanik, Cevher, and several no names. Of the bunch, I recommend the CAO (all Beklers) and a large Sherlock Holmes set, IMP, Yanik. So add those to your list from the reliably good PSF'rs above. Enjoy the MADness!

Ed
    Puff

Ps. I smoke a rather thin walled IMP meer too and it does get hot especially if I get carried away in the smoke! ;). Don't worry about how hot your meer gets. Focus on the smoke! If it burnin hot and the flavors flat then you may be going at it too fast. Remember, ya can't burn a meer. It'll show scorch marks if you're extreme with fire but ya can't bur a meer! So smoke and enjoy away!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.