1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

help with buying another pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Hooshang III, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooshang III

Hooshang III Member

Hello friends,
    I hope you are doing well. my name is Dan. I want to purchase another pipe but I found out that there are so many choices I thought I should ask some guidance from you guys.

I have had 3 pipes in total. 2 of them were intricately carved meerschaum pipes I bought from ebay they looked nice but did not smoke well at all, and one of them broke very soon where the stem connected to the pipe (the screw got ruined despite the fact that I twisted the stem clockwise while removing it). they were not inexpensive either. I dont remember exactly but they cost me around $200 each.

the third pipe I bought was a semi smooth brigham pipe for $70. I really like this pipe smokes great (take that with a grain of salt, I have never smoked an expensive pipe before.) but the briar on the pipe has some minor blemishes.

my friend who is experienced with pipes told me that my pipe smokes just as good as high end pipes it only is less expensive because of the cosmetic blemishes on the briar.

now first of all I want to know if there is any truth to that and either way ( lol ) I want to purchase a nice smooth finished nice smoking sturdy pipe around $300.

I like churchwarden pipes but I am not sure how much more difficult they are to clean than my normal straight pipe.

I am looking forward to hearing from you

Best regards
    Dan

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

For $300 you could commission a custom made pipe that would surpass anything you could get off a shelf. I can highly recommend our own Sasquatch as a pipe carver. He made a pipe for me about 9 months ago and it is excellent.

RTOdhner and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  3. Hooshang III

Hooshang III Member

Thank you so much Arkie,
    I was wondering about that but I did not think smooth ones are that price. I checked the website of Michael Parks and really liked the pipes but apparently the smooth finished ones go for more than $750.
    can you please guide me to Sasquatch?

Thanks so much
    Dan

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Brighams smoke pretty well, usually.

You aren't going to have a situation where you buy an expensive pipe and say "OHHHH now I get it, now pipe smoking is enjoyable." Expensive pipes, artisan made pipes, I guess I should say, will have a nicer, finer stem, should have better briar, and should smoke effortlessly. But they aren't magic - they're just pipes.

A guy with hardly any pipe experience might be better off to buy a couple good pipes for that money - get a Peterson, a Ser Jacopo and a corn cob, see how you fair.

But if you want a particular style, or a custom job, then there's lots of guys who make better than average pipes.

Churchwardens are a pain to clean - you do need to buy the extra long cleaners. Other than that, they are just long pipes. They look cool, but I found very little use for them over time.

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Don't really focus on price, because really good pipes and higher price tags don't always go hand in hand. After about $200 you are probably paying more for a name and cosmetics than any sort of higher smoking quality. Nice pipes can be had for $80 to $200. Peterson, Stanwell, and Savinelli all make very good pipes in that range, although I'm partial to Petes. I just like their lines and the history of the company. Now, if you want to go $200 and up, you might as well go with an artisan-made pipe. I have two, one of which is a BST/Sas pipe. It's the best pipe I've ever owned, and it ran much less than $300.

6. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

If you are going to spend $300, you will probably be one of the few and far between around here who has spent that much on a pipe, however I know we have our fair share of collectors and high rollers also. You can surely find something that will be heirloom quality for that price!

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. Hooshang III

Hooshang III Member

Thank you for your responses everybody. I guess the Brigham can be my go to pipe thats right I am looking for a "heirloom quality" one now.
    I appreciate the recommendations. I checked out some Savienelli and Peterson and Stanwell pipes I can't really tell the difference.

8. Hooshang III

Hooshang III Member

By the way,
    what does the metal ring in between the pipe and the stem of the peterson pipes do? is it purely cosmetic or it has a purpose?

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The ring on the Peterson system pipes prevents the shank from splitting. The stems kind of wedge in on those pipes.

10. Hooshang III

Hooshang III Member

Thank you everyone for your help. I have purchased a Peterson ebony silver spigot pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.