1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Nording Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dan Manchester, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

I have two which I bought a couple years ago. One is a natural partly rusticated half bent briar. The second is a finished partly rusticated Bamboo half bent. Both are stamped Hand made by Eric Nording. Now let me tell you I have a love hate relationship with these pipes. Love to look at them and hold them but hate smoking them. These two pipes offer me probably the worst smoking experience I've had since I started almost three years ago. For a long time I thought It was me but I have tried everything from different tobacco's, packing methods and all offer the same result. Both pipes before mid bowl are gurgly messes. No matter what tobacco. It could be Five Brothers which is very dry and its still a wet goopy mess by half bowl. Last night was enough. I dumped a half bowl of Balkan Sasieni and said how much tobacco am I going to waste in these pipes. I have cheap beater pipes that smoke a hundred times better. So I ask you guy's what should I do? Is there a fix for these? I should add neither pass a pipe cleaner test. But I have other pipes that don't and they don't smoke bad. So I'm not sold on that theory. Anyway any thoughts or mods to try? At $80-100 a pipe they should be decent smokes out of the gate.
    BTW pipes are always pretty clean and well rested(sometimes weeks)

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I've got a pipe that likes to gurgle halfway through. Sometimes all it takes is to blow down the stem gently a few times to stop the gurgle and it never comes back. Maybe try opening the airway a little too.

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

I have a Nording Freehand that does pretty much the same thing. It has a conical bowl (I just learned that what's it's called) so I have to cannon ball my baccy in her. If I cannon ball it it works just fine, otherwise it get to be a swamp near the bottom of the bowl.

Are yours conical shaped bowls?

4. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I had a Nording Freehand that did the exact same thing (pictured in my avatar). I still have another Nording that is partially rusticated and it smokes better, but still has issues. Both have conical bowls so maybe that is the issue as Goat said. I will definitely try the cannonball method next time.

I am not offering much help, but letting you know you are not alone with this.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

There's a few possible causes. Gurgling very often is a result of moisture building up on the end of the tenon. This is often caused by a restriction or impediment, or poor engineering. I don't know if those pipes have a funnel-shaped tenon, but that is often a quick cure.

If you pull the stem out 1/8" or so and smoke the pipe, does it improve? Could be that the tenon is too long and occluding the airway.

Could also just be inferior wood that smokes wet, although I would put that at the very bottom of probably causes.

6. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the things you've mentioned. I've tried back blowing and running pipe cleaners thru during a smoke without much success. It clears the gurgle for a bit but by that point the tobacco is sopping.

Goat, can you elaborate on this cannon ball pack? How far down do you pack it? How tight? I have one conical and the bamboo is the same diameter top to bottom. Both are equally bad.

Sasquatch, one pipe will let me try pulling it out a little. The other is pretty much it is what is. I'm going to try swapping the stems around. There is an ever so slight difference between the two.

So it seems so far that these Nording freehands aren't very good smokers in my opinion.

7. Goat

Goat Active Member

Cannonball=wadding it up into a ball and stuffing it in so as to leave an air pocket in the bottom of the bowl.

8. Goat

Goat Active Member

Mine is a real good smoker IF it's loaded right. Otherwise I gets swampy near the end.

9. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

Well Goat, I tried the cannon ball air pocket and it worked like a charm! Had a nice cool no gurgle smoke in the briar pipe. It seemed I used hardly any tobacco and still had a solid 30 minutes. It was like a different pipe. I'll try the bamboo tomorrow. I want to rest it another day. A thousand thank you's my friend. And just when I was ready to write these pipes off. This is going to be a fun packing technique to try with other pipes and tobacco's. You learn something new every day in this hobby. Thanks again.

Goat and Monkeyshine like this.
  10. Goat

Goat Active Member

Glad it worked out for you. I love my Nording when it's packed properly. If not it's a real pain.

11. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

I drilled my 2 nordings to 11/64 , no more gurgle..[ drafthole]

12. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

I just today tried cannonballing with my Hilson which has a connical bowl. Smoked like a charm. Can't wait to fine tune the method. Still had a goopy mess at the bottom, but I think thats just the Dark Twist I was smoking.

13. hansel

hansel Member

i have the same problem with a ben wade i have, and its a shame cause it feels so good in my hand, and was 80 bucks. its not drilled to well, i should have checked it better when i bought it. ohh well lesson learned.
    im gonna have to try the cannon ball or air pocket method. its amazing how tight you can pack it and still get a good draw as long as you have that airpocket at the bottom

David Emond likes this.
  14. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I also have a ben wade that was poorly drilled. Each smoked will gurgle

15. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

I tried the Nording Bamboo Freehand the other night with the cannon ball pack and it was better. But not as good as the conical shaped Nording Briar Freehand. I also like my Tobacco on the dry side so I may be packing to tight. But overall its better. Need to work on the packing.

The idea of drilling has crossed my mind. I think these pipes(and some others) would benefit from it. But I'm assuming thats something I'd have to send out? And if so is Floyd Norwood the guy? He did a couple bands for me a few years ago. One was good, one was horriable. Hopefully he's a 100% at drilling.

16. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

BTW I was just on Norwoods website and he has got some killer looking $50 pipes on there. Anyone own one of these FLN pipes? If I send him these Nordings to drill I got a feeling one of those FLN pipes is going to make it into the return box.

17. Goat

Goat Active Member

Do it..... Do it....
    Ya know you want to. :csmile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.