hey guys brand new to pipe smokin so help please

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Nemo, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemo

Nemo New Member

Hey guys iam just turning 18. So iam finally old enough to take up the wonderful hobby of pipe smoking. I have bought a small brair but have yet to choose a type of tabacco. Please keep in mind iam a college student and on a budget . Other than that I would love some input

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Have you turned 18 or are you still rounding the corner?

ol gto and Archer like this.
  3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi Nemo,
    Welcome to pipe smoking. I think you should start out with something like Price Albert or Carter Hall. Both are readily available OTC. They are both tasty and forgiving if smoked too fast. That is the main thing. Smoke slooow. And Pack your pipe on the light side. You can always tamp it down a little if need be. There is a wealth of knowledge here so ask questions and you be enlightened.

Enjoy,
    Paul

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Welcome aboard, Nemo. I'll second the Prince Albert, and Carter Hall, and also add Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic to the suggestions.

Chuck S, ol gto, IrishRover and 2 others like this.
  5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

These guys are on the money with their suggestion, mine would have been the same!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo New Member

Thank-you guys forthr great advice ill do just that

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Hey Nemo! Welcome to the brotherhood!!

Just keep smoking, just keep smoking, just keep smoking.......

Sorry couldnt resist the Finding Nemo reference!!!!

Snake, IrishRover and Jussto like this.
  8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

:haha:

9. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Welcome aboard!

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Yo Nemo!
    These guys are all burley ****s...they'll send you down that road and never think about how they're scaring your fragile psyche.

Now I'm a Virginia/Virginia-Perique whore, so listen close....Peter Stokkebye is a blender you can find on-line at almost any e-tailer. Two of his blends that I would recommend are Luxury Twist Flake (LTF) and Luxury Navy Flake (LNF). For a full description of these blends, go to www.tobaccoreviews.com Type Stokkebye in the search, where you can find these blends.
    Reason I'm touting Pete's blends is that, not only are they stellar tobaccos, but you can buy them in bulk....by the ounce....and the prices are very reasonable. LTF is a great straight VA, and LNF is a great spicy Va-Per.

There's more to life than burley.....just sayin'..................:whis::beck:

Mark w4mms and dwaugh like this.
  11. jhe888

jhe888 Member

If you have a tobacco store, visit it. See if anything in the bulk bins appeals to you, but don't be seduced by sweet smelling tobies - the fruity smelling ones. They don't really taste like that, although they can smell like that while smoking. I'd suggest a simple Virginia or Virginia blend at first. They are mild in taste and tend to smoke cool. Ask the clerk what they have like that. If you have to order on line, try Orlik Golden Sliced, or McClelland No 4100 Red Cake (McClelland has a lot of Virginia blends that are quite nice), both of which are not too expensive, and are easy to smoke. The suggestion for Prince Albert or Carter Hall from any drug store is okay. Both are decent, but neither is a favorite of mine.

12. FlatbushPaul

Hey T-Bear,
    I do not even like burley. Well, I'll smoke it, but I've been known to smoke most anything. My faves are all Va's & Vapers. I would sell my soul for a 8 oz can of Telegraph Hill or a few tins of Escudo! Who knows what I would do for some fully aged FVF if I could find it! ( I can't age it cuz I smoke it as I get it).
    I was trying to steer the kid down an honest path so he could grow up strong and maybe have some scruples. Not sordid and underhanded like the rest of us! I'm only sayin'...:csmile:

Mark w4mms likes this.
  13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If you prove to me that I can get some actual value for your soul, a bargain may be struck. ;)

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    You've already had some good advice here!
    Allow me to add my two cent: If cost is of importance you might wanna try some of the No Name tobaccos, i.e a straight forward Cavendish.
    From your post I gather that you only have one pipe so far. This is certainly not enough, I'm afraid.
    Invest in some corn cobs which are cheap and great smokers.
    Enjoy your new hobby and let us know how you get on!:bing:

15. FlatbushPaul

OK, so I was lyin'. I was still tryin' to steer the kid straight. lol

16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

LOL - I'm smoking your soul as we speak! Telegraph Hill... from one of my 10 8-oz tins. :ohyh:

17. FlatbushPaul

I hope you're enjoyin' it! It's probably pure Virginia! And I'm sure it's well aged and even stoved, as I've been around awhile!

Paul

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.