1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi guys

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Fredrik, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

Been lurking a bit and just thought I'd start off by saying "Hi" before I get inclined to reply to a thread.
    I'm a 29y.o. novice pipe smoker from Stockholm, Sweden. I can't say what turned me towards pipe smoking other than curiosity since none of my relatives smoke anything but cigarettes (yuck!) and there's not much of a pipe smoking culture here. I have a humidor though and I've been storing some cigars since 2003 so I guess this is the next step :)

I started off with a Chacom arcade apple with a pouch of WÖ Larsen golden dream and the stores own burley mix.
    Began with the three stage filling with increasing firmness but soon found out about the Frank method which I think is excellent for the ready rubbed tobaccos I've tried. For the flakes (only two so far) I use "air pocket" filling which has allowed me to get some really nice smokes where I haven't had to relight and been able to smoke the entire bowl to ashes, which also seem to leave less moisture when done...but that might also be the baccy.

While browsing ebay (dangerous!) I came across two Dunhills that just begged of me to buy them...so I did ^^ One 1976 bruyere bent dublin with oval shank and mouthpiece and a 1996(?) shellbriar cherrywood with saddle mouthpiece...and now I've gone and ordered a dozen MM cobs and a Randy Wiley... I also bought a couple of no name el cheapo briars to use as "loaners" as it seems there's always someone who wants a taste heh.

As for baccys aside from the previously mentioned I have acquired some Olrik Golden Sliced, GL Pease Union Square,Westminster & Maltese Falcon, Davidoff Flake Medallions and a limited reserve sweet mixture...I'm waiting for the cobs to use them to try out baccys without any "ghosts"...the plan right now is to use the Wiley for english, the cherrywood for VA and the dublin for aromatic (if I continue with that)...

So that's a little summary of where this newbie is at right now...I don't smoke much as I'm not a nicotinist, I prefer something like having a seat in an arbour after completing a ten hour shift at work and have a pipe and an ice coffee, perhaps along with a bit of reading. I suspect though that it'll increase in frequency, especially since I'm going back to school :velho:

And after that bit of introduction I'd like to thank you for some nice reading here, good stuff and I'll certainly be reading more. I've already taken some notes of baccys to buy and try :)

Cheers!
    /Fredrik

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Welcome Fredrik!

Sounds like you are doing well. As for pipes to let your fellow pipers who just want a taste, don't start them off by offering them a "cheapie briar", let 'em have it "Full-ON" by putting a cob in their hands! :)

Otherwise, glad you're no longer lurking! Join the party!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

Thanks!
    Hehe, for some reason I hadn't thought about cobs when I got those briars or I wouldn't have bought them at all :velho:

4. erickghint

erickghint Member

Fredrik, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay. You can learn a lot from these guys, and sometimes it's actually good information. :velho:

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Welcome aboard, Fredrik! I know you're gonna love the cobs man...so much so, in fact, that those 'cheapie briars' will seem a wasted endeavor. I am more than willing to take them off your hands, so saving you the aggravation of having to even look at them! We take care of our own, on this site!

Just kidding, of course. You seem to have a good handle on the hobby, jumping in with both feet. Enjoy your time here!

-Kyle

6. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Welcome Fredrick. You have found the right place. So far sounds like you are well on your way to enjoying this realxing hobby. Congrats on the ebay finds and enjoy 'em.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Glad to have you with us! Sounds like you've got the hang of things pretty well already. Hoe you enjoy yourself here and looking forward to your posts,

Gerry

8. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

Been away for a while but when I got home a dozen Missouri pride cobs and a Randy Wiley were waiting for me :bing:
    While away I cracked open my first tin of english blend baccy (GL Pease Maltese Falcon, got a tin of Westminster too)...and I loved it! Looking forward to trying other blends as well in my newly aqquired cobs!

Here's a pic of the Wiley next to my Dunhill. I just love the size of that thing! Not a pipe to carry around in your pocket, but it fits my hand so well and is surprisingly stable between the teeth too.
    [​IMG]

9. Abe Lincon

Abe Lincon Member

Very nice pipes! Welcome!

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Welcome back, Fredrik! Nice looking pipes there.
    Of course, Puff will want to see your cobs.

dp

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Welcome back!

And what a nice pipe to come home to! That Wiley really is a modern beauty and one to be proud of. Many Happy Years with it!

Best to all,

Gerry

12. erickghint

erickghint Member

You'll love that Wiley. I have one that I absolutely adore. It's a heavy sucker, but smokes like a dream.

13. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Welcome! And man that Wiley is nice. Well, both are nice but I really did the Wiley!

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Welcome back! Sweet looking pipes there. :)

15. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Welcome! I have been lurking myself the last few days just trying to get a feel for everything.

16. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

man I love that Dunhill
    looks small next to that Behemoth Beasty :thumbsu:

17. noflex

noflex Member

Welcome Fredrik, nice to see another scandinavian on the forum.

18. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Great looking pipes!!! I love em both.

19. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

That Dunhill is a beaut! I'm curious, what are the dimensions on each of those (as the Wiley makes the Dunill look like a pocket nosewarmer)?

20. thomas

thomas Member

Hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing! that Wiley must be HUGE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.